Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Help!! 98 Xlt Installation Of Front Drive Shaft

Answering my own question... apparently the new u-joint was not packed in factory and was howling for some grease. Live and learn. BTW, the original u-joint was sealed and still good at 140K miles. Lesson, if you see a grease fitting... hit it. Answer to Guardian Sport... I have zero play in...
  2. M

I replaced the front propeller (driveshaft) with the CV joint and new u-joint. $260 from NAPA w/$60 core exchange. On the test drive around the neighborhood the problem was solved. I turned the car back over to the wife who just drives around town and she was telling me "no problems."...
  3. M

Yes, this makes sense to replace the whole drive shaft assemble for a bit more $. Looks like I would get a new u-joint as well. Thanks for helping me to determine the best path as I'll begin looking for parts first thing tomorrow.
  4. M

Oh, Okay so this is the CV joint. Does it make sense that this would make a loud click... almost a metallic snap sound when bad. This doesn't happen on every wheel rotation but it happens frequently and seems to happen at the same point as I rotate the front tire. Many thanks for the info.
  5. M

Thank you for the quick reply. What I'd really like to know is what is the name of that Dome-shaped part in picture 2 and can it be replaced independent of the front drive shaft? The (bad) clicking noise I'm hearing seems to be coming from this part (hopefully the transfer case is okay). I'm...
  6. M

I'm curious as to what is inside of that dome shaped part (picture 2) that interfaces with the transfer case? A bearing I suspect. I have a loud click coming intermittently from this very part. Can I guy just replace this part? ... the bearing with in? ... or does the whole drive shaft...
  7. M

Bad Key

This is so bizarre I wanted to share and hopefully help others in the trouble shooting process. My 1998 Ford Explorer SOHC 6 wouldn't start after several days sitting but had been running fine prior. The engine would turn over but wouldn't fire. When starter fluid was sprayed up the air...
  8. M

1998 SOHC 4.0 hesitates on freeway

plug wires are BWD Select and plugs are Autolite Platinum. Purchased at Shucks. I didn't really shop around for these so there may be something better on the market. Hello Russ! I'm in Tualatin so we are practically neighbors.
  9. M

Problem is gone After giving this fix several days of normal driving I haven't had a single problem with the "bump" sensation on the freeway under load (i.e. when going up a slight incline). It appears that this was indeed caused by a bad plug wire causing a misfire under these conditions...
  10. M

I live in Oregon and it has been a bit cold and wet around here lately. I'm really hoping the plug wire does the trick, but I know I need to put some more miles in to be sure. I am a bit concerned about my Fuel Injectors with 123,000 miles and have put a good quality injector cleaner...
  11. M

Further Update. The problem continued so I replaced the TPS hoping this might improve my gas mileage if nothing else. Still no luck. Last night I replaced the plugs and wires. The plugs were still good but since I wanted to have a look at the tough to reach plugs (#2, 3 are awful on this...
  12. M

Thanks to All for the valuable advice. So far I have cleaned the MAF Sensor and on my initial test drive I notice marked improvement but still felt a few bumps at freeway speed under the conditions described above (notably less than before). I'm cautiously optimistic that this is the right...
  13. M

I'm a new poster but have been reading and learning a lot here in the last few days. My problem is somewhat hard to describe let alone diagnos. My 1998 SOHC 4.0 Explorer runs great in city and on flat ant level freeway, but when you have a slight incline (not even so much as to cause the...
Back