Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. ld50

Can’t get it running!

Hello fellow Explorer enthusiaststs! So my boy has custody of the Explorer now. He was out earlier in the year and she died. I went there and it seemed as if the fuel pump wasn’t powering, but it would crank, with spark. We had to get it towed home and then it immediately started, then didn’t...
  2. ld50

Big blue won’t run, I’m confused..

So I’ve been getting ready for the new season and I ran the explorer for a while the other day. When I turned it off, the door chime went off constantly and the left blinker is stuck on. Started troubleshooting today and the blinker is still blinking and door chime still chiming when battery is...
  3. ld50

Second Gen roof racks same as first Gen?

Hello fellow Explorer enthusiasts! Can anyone confirm whether the first gen and second gen roof racks are the same dimensions? Reason I ask is I am selling a custom set of roof racks that I designed for my 93, which someone with a 97 has inquired about. Thanks all!
  4. ld50

Dexron V1 (6) in M5OD ?

Hey, got some tranny fluid today to change it out in my manual '93. They gave me Dexron -V1 I never heard of that before. Just doing my due diligence here before I change the fluid. Can't seem to find reference to it on the site. Ummmm... Is it backwards compatible? -do I have to worry?
  5. ld50

Engine dies, won't start, then starts.

Hey all! Been running like a champ. but had a very weird issue yesterday. After a good couple hour run up a mountain and back I was putting along a forest road; low speed, level. Explorer stalled dead as if the engine was just turned off. Tried starting, and wouldn't catch. Popped the...
  6. ld50

Gasoline from exhaust -FPR replacement

Hello fellow Explorer enthusiasts! Well, as our first Gen explorers get older, things break that never broke before, sometimes causing confusion and panic. Sometimes the info is a little bit tough to dig out from the site. I would like to share some info relating to my recent failure of the...
  7. ld50

Won't idle, exhaust smells like gasoline.

My Ex just is not happy lately, now I am stranded! Had an issue I posted about the other day where it would not start. Traced it to a fuel issue and replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Ran great for a couple days. Went to a friend's today and when I went to leave it started but was...
  8. ld50

Won't start. Am I missing something?

Hey all. Well the SUV finally left me stranded without it being something I broke. Just trying to figure it out right now. What I know: -Cranks fine, battery is putting out plenty of juice, all wiring seems okay. -Have spark as verified by pulling a spark plug and watching it fire -Can...
  9. ld50

First gen dome light disable switch install (front)

I always hated how the dome lights are always on in my first gen Explorer when a door is open. I decided to track the wiring and install a switch to disable them when I want, like when camping and listening to the radio for instance. First, Undo the philips screw at the lower part of your...
  10. ld50

LD50 axle wrap hidden camera

Hey, FINALLY took at look at what goes on down under there. I am thinking about remedying this, after the summer. In the vid I go first to second harder than I normally would but I expect I get at least that amount of twist during wheeling operations. My Old man Emu springs are actually...
  11. ld50

'93 XL on Full-width D44 and 9-inch

Hey all, don't know why I took so long to officially register it, maybe because It will never really be done, but anyway has been officially SAS'd for a while so here it is. The axles were from a 78 (79?) F-150 -I`d like to give special thanks to the great members and organizer's of this site...
  12. ld50

What is under the interior rear plastic trim? 4-door 1 gen

If anyone has some clear pics of a gutted rear interior of first gen I would appreciate if you could post me some photos. (second gen same?) I`ve been searching and searching and I can only find photos that don't really show everything, or thery are poor angles. I know they have to be around...
  13. ld50

First Gen heater fan removal

Had to take my heater fan /AKA Blower out because of a funny noise from it, Here is how to! 91 - 94 Explorer`s heater fans can be found on the passenger side at firewall.
  14. ld50

Anyone know 1980s ignition systems?

I have a 86 Honda civic as a run-around to save gas. It ran like a dream originally, but once in a while would start shaking like a crack-***** and stall if you let the rpms drop. After a while the crack-***** symptoms have become the norm, and I can't figure it out. I removed the carb, tore...
  15. ld50

Manual Transfer case shift point adjustment

Couldn`t find it posted anywhere I could find so I thought I`d single it out for an easy to find reference. Scenario: My Ex was barely coming out of 4HI and if I pulled back to it`s stop point it went into neutral. It would only stay in 4HI if the shifter was kept in the middle of it`s...
  16. ld50

LD50 1st gen Rusty rocker panel bodywork - rockerpanel replacement

Hello fellow explorer enthusiasts! Got some questions asked while doing my driver`s side rocker panel repair so I decided to write-up the other side. Hope I can help anyone out.. FIRST: -Disconnect your battery, do not do any welding with your battery connected. Yes you might get away with...
  17. ld50

1st gen whiny fuel pump troubleshooting

Doing some work to my Ex right now and wanted to adress a whiny fuel pump problem. I replaced the whole assembly last year since it was rusting and leaking. As soon as the new assembly was in, the pump began whining. It was like a "eeeeeeeeeeeeoeoeeeeoeeoooooooooooooobububbubeeeeeeooeeoooooooo"...
  18. ld50

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts! Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time. I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to...
  19. ld50

Identifying a donor for SAS

hey, My father-in-law showed me a frame out back of his new place with both axles still in. He said he figured it was an old F-150, I say it`s gotta be an Early Bronco judging by the wheel base an an old hood I found deeper in the bushes. The rear axle looked like a Ford 9" anyway, and the...
  20. ld50

I have a knock from the back at take off.

I`m trying to track down this noise I got, looking through the threads kind of tells me I`m on my own, but I thought I`d try. Last time out in the bush, I kind of heard this metallic groan which sounded like it came from the passenger side, or the rear of the truck. Eventually it turned into...
  21. ld50

LD50 Rescue operation

I get a phone call today... My couzin has gone fishing and driven into the wrong place, could I come and pull him out? Yikes, it`s almost two hours away, but I know he would do the same, so I pack up the truck and head out past Hope, BC to see what mess he`s gotten into. When I got there I...
  22. ld50

O my, did mom ever buy a heap Ranger!

Hey Ranger guys, how`s by you? Man OH MAN my mom bought this Ranger, and she wanted me to bring it home and give it a going over, and quite frankly I think it should be scrapped but she isn`t very receptive to the idea. She hasn`t been on the road for a while because of health problems but...
  23. ld50

Tube sizes, thicknesses and specs for fabbing

I thought I would ask. What is the best tube to use for fabbing bumpers and/or cages? Obviously one would want the most strength with the least weight. What are good methods for welding this stuff? If I only had access to an arc welder, can it be done that way, or is wire feed type tig...
  24. ld50

HELP front diff info needed asap

I`m not happy. I just took my front diff off to find that there is no shaft pin lock nut in place. I banged on the shaft pin a bit to see if it would come out and it seems jammed in place. I`m putting a front locker in. How do I get the pin out now? I`m worried about hitting it too hard...
  25. ld50

Canadian Backroads

carsonm and I went out yesterday with the LMEG crew, which is usually is just us anyway. :p We went up harrison west to Sloquet hotsprings. By my odometer, which isn`t accurate because of tire size and gear change, we went 96 kms up harrison west FSR, from the Sasquatch Inn to the turn off...
Back