Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Advice on towing this weight?

I am going to have my transmission fluid changed too and see if that helps. I bought the explorer 2 1/2 years ago used, so I don't know if it's ever been changed. Plus I want them to put in synthetic to see if it helps.
  2. B

Not 11000. The mfg specs in my manual and online say the max trailer weight is 7300 lbs, and the weight of the camper is 6200 lbs, so I should have 1100 lbs left over. And I always pull the camper with empty tanks, so there's no extra water weight on board.
  3. B

since you all tow with your explorer, you may know: I have a 2002 explorer 4X4 V8 w/tow package. I pull a 24' camper with it (camper wt is 6200 lbs, 1100 lbs under the mfg towing weight limit for my explorer) with a weight distributing hitch. I hear and feel a growling noise from the front...
  4. B

Ticking in front end of 02 Explorer

I have checked tires, etc. But I noticed today that the clicking is coming from the REAR end, passenger side. When driving it sounds like front, but I let the wife drive while I hung my head out the window (after making sure there were no mailboxes or signs too close to the road!) and it is...
  5. B

Vibration on Acceleration

dusting off an old post I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 4X4 (Full time automatic 4wd) V8 w/tow package. I pull a 24' camper with it (1100 lbs under the mfg towing weight limit for my explorer) with a weight distributing hitch. I hear and feel a growling noise from the front end when towing the...
  6. B

Torque converter issues?

Same.... maybe Unfortunately, I do not have the answer for you. I have an 02 LTD 4X4 with 83K on it. I also have a slight shutter. When I pull my camper, mostly above 40-45 mph, I also hear and feel a vibrating/growling from the front end. Mostly when I am accelerating and especially when I...
  7. B

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

Checked all the tires, several times, now and long ago. Nothing in the tires. Also, the noise was there before I replaced the breaks, and still after. Also had new tires put on about 2 months ago, no difference in the noise. It's not a regular pattern. Mostly when I am under about 20 mph...
  8. B

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

Ticking, not grinding Thank you to everyone on this post, great information! My '02 explorer has 83K miles on it, so this thread definitely bookmarked. Question: I recently posted a thread bc I hear a ticking noise in the front end, I think passenger side...
  9. B

Thanks for the tip. I am looking into it. Any other input from anyone? I'm guessing if it is bearings it's going to be costly.
  10. B

There is a ticking in the front end, sounds like passenger side, of my stock '02 Explorer 4X4. I thought maybe a U-joint gone bad. However, in the past with my other vehicles, when I engage the 4X4, the U-joint quit ticking. This keeps on ticking. No regularity to it, occurs when braking...
  11. B

towing a 24' camper

Thanks for the input! I towed the camper about 5 miles home and seemed to do fine. Haven't taken it out yet, but hopefully it will do okay. And yes, I have the tow package and the 3.73 rear end. Our first trip will be about an hour away to see how she does.
  12. B

towing a 24' camper

I finally have my new battery and starter in my '02 Explorer 4.6L. Now, I am purchasing a 24' camper trailer. It is a Zepplin (by Keystone) LWT. I have checked the trailer and vehicle specs, and I am good on weight. I am ordering trailer brake control tomorrow. Question is, has anyone...
  13. B

Starter location

And for my model, the starter was on the passenger side, rear of the engine. I could look across the top of the front passenger tire, towards the engine, and see it.
  14. B

Starter location

Thanks for the help! Replaced the starter and battery, runnning fine..for now. Hopefully the evil spirits left with the old starter!
  15. B

Starter location

A New Symptom I noticed late last night another symptom. When I turn the key, it just clicks. But, it continues to click even after I release the key. Also, while I am turning the key, the guages go wild... spedometer maxes out, temperature guage moves rapidly up and down, and the airbag...
  16. B

Starter location

Thanks! going to check the cables now. hopefully that will solve it
  17. B

Starter location

I think I need to replace the starter on my 02 explorer 4.6L 4X4. When I try to start it, it just clicks. Radio, headlights, and all electrical work fine, just won't start. I cannot find the starter. I know it's supposed to be on the lower, rear of the engine on the driver's side, but I am...
  18. B

2002 explorer - 4x4 control module replacement

OK, so I ordered the module from silverstatefordproducts.com on Thurs, received it today (Sat) with standard shipping. I installed it in about 5 minutes, and it works great! Fixed my problem ... knock on wood! I took the entire glove box door off just for easier access to the bracket screw...
  19. B

Ok, so I received a reply back from silverstatefordparts.com. Very fast and friendly, the module was in-stock and shipped out today. After I receive it and install it, hopefully I will have a success story to update this!
  20. B

I have emailed silverstatefordparts.com so hopefully I will receive a helpful resonse. I will update this as soon as I do. Thanks again!
  21. B

OK, I will give that a try, thanks!
  22. B

Can't find a 4X4 control module So, I have read the above thread, which was very helpful, but I cannot seem to find a relacement 4X4 Control Module online. I even searched all of the 4 sites listed above with "no results found." Any idea what I am doing wrong? I even tried searching by part...
Back