Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Just picked up some Western Wheels "cyclone" or "turbines"

Ok got some pics of them on the truck. I really love the look. Worked out exactly as i thought they would. Perfect. I just need some decent center caps. And from what i read unilug rims are hard to mount? These were easy as pie. Centered and balanced. My garbage tires on the stock rims were...
  2. X

For me my age doesn't seem to affect my style tastes. Or I got them from my dad. Im 26 and I grew up going to classic car shows and being around classics. I rode in a Model A to a few car shows. A few times in a big old bronco. My dad had a 68 mustang coupe with a 289. I think classic styling is...
  3. X

Ah this is the style I had mentioned earlier that i see on many new and old trucks wether in chrome, black, white, or any other color. They seemed to have carried over through the years. And they seem to work just fine. I personally dont like them, Didnt like them then and dont like them now...
  4. X

Now that im looking at tire rack I see some american racing wheels that are the cragar ss style and using the see on vehicle feature they look awful. I wouldnt want to ever be that in your face about the wheels on my truck. I think the turbines are much more subtle.
  5. X

I really love the the 70's old school styles. I would think if they were their original color it might look a bit funny but the painted color is almost an exact match if you see them in person. I've seen lots of older style rims on newer trucks. Like those chrome wheels with the inward pointing...
  6. X

So I was shopping around craigslist for some tires. Came across an ad for Uniroyal Laredo tires on Western Wheel Turbine rims. Ive found they are also called cyclone rims. Turns out they didnt fit on this guys dodge. They were just sandblasted, painted, and cleared 3 weeks ago. And the color...
  7. X

Misfire on cyl #4 1997 Mountaineer.

This isnt really a thread asking for help. More a thread sharing my experience. This morning I remote started my Merc and when I finally went outside to get in I noticed quite a stench. I got in the truck and immediately noticed an awful shake and a CEL. A couple days ago I put about 1/2 of a...
  8. X

Odd vibration at high speed / odd suspension issue?

Thanks guys. Im gonna check it all out this weekend in a warehouse. Also need to price out some parts because there is definitely something not right about it.
  9. X

Odd vibration at high speed / odd suspension issue?

I got this 97 Mountaineer with 155k on it. Of course its the 5.0 AWD. When on the highway above 55 or so I get this odd vibration when either turning right or when I hit a bump and the suspension stretches out for that quick second or so. I just passed a somewhat halfassed inspection where...
  10. X

Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod

Two rather bulky ones. I had what looked like some pretty heavy slack.
  11. X

Coolest for the money 95 Ranger Stereo?

Yes back to the original problem. It sounds like you have a factory amp problem which will still be there even if you install a new deck. Im amazed that amp survives after installing an aftermarket deck with at least 40 watts going to the factory amp input. Unless the stock deck actually has...
  12. X

Thanks. Ill check out my local yard first. They have at least 10 explorers and mercs. Might be able to get the rest of the wood there too.
  13. X

Oh i didnt realize the black ones were rubber coated. Ive only owned the truck for 2 weeks. Thats a good paint job in the grand am. I just want all wood grain for the somewhat classy look. Almost did the conversion on my old 1996 Taurus SHO.
  14. X

What color you gonna paint it? If black ill trade you. Id love that wood in my Merc. Or if not black its already a rough black better for prep work than that gloss finish. Mine is the exact same. No 4x4 switch.
  15. X

My buddy got his for about $400 Doesnt play dvds and this was a couple years ago. Still nice. The seller thought it was broken because it didnt play dvds and thats why the discount. I love craigslist. thats where i found both my 94 eddie and my 97 mountaineer. Thats a beautiful avic you got...
  16. X

Which way sounds better?

Its a shallow mount sub in a shallow box. One of the only options for people with single cab trucks. Other than replacing the seats and building a custom center console. Looking at the picture of that mtx setup shows me you really have no space. This JL box and sub combo would probably sound...
  17. X

can steering wheel controls work with aftermarket deck?

Ive installed a pioneer avic double din nav unit in a 2004 silverado. I believe I used a scosche unit to adapt the steering wheel controls. You have to be sure your deck accepts steering wheel controls. You just have to figure out which color wire is which coming from your steering wheel to...
  18. X

Found smoked projector headlights of the 95-01 Explorers.

I guess it really depends on the color of your truck. If mine was all white and i was keeping the chrome grille or painting it white id go with the clears. If it was black and i was keeping the chrome or painting it black id go with the blacks. But mine is white with the gray lower and im...
  19. X

Im going to say crutchfield is only good for research. Then you go to a different site to buy the product. Their prices are close to what you would pay at a retail store. I bought a Kenwood Excelon X693 brand new last year for $150 including shipping. At the time Crutchfield listed the deck for...
  20. X

Which way sounds better?

My personal preference is to aim the subs towards the rear. I had some real cheap 10's in a galant that i had facing rear. And the closer to the trunk they were the louder they were. I currently have a pair of decent 12's. In my Talon I had them face the rear and they were clean and crisp and...
  21. X

Pics of your Component Speaker Instal

I have a pair of Boston acoustics SR60 6.5's for the front and 6.5 alpine type s components for the rear. Still currently sitting in my old 93 Eagle Talon. Im torn on front speaker locations. The rears are definitely going in the doors. I have a buddy looking for his old kick panels from his 94...
  22. X

My interior lights stay on even after the engine is turned off.

Since this about interior lights im going to hop in here and post my problem. Ive noticed in my other fords when entering the car the interior lights would stay on for 30-60 seconds or until you turned the key to start the car. Once its running they dont stay on after you shut the door. Or when...
  23. X

HID Wiring Question

Ive never had HID's but i have read they dont like turning on and off rapidly. This is why its very rare to see them used in high beams. Ive seen posts on different forums with people shying others away from hid use in cars with keyless entry that flash the headlights when you push the buttons,
  24. X

Headlamp switch won't "turn".

The star shaped fittings are known as torx. Ive bought screwdriver kits for as little as $10 from cvs that included torx bits.
  25. X

Found smoked projector headlights of the 95-01 Explorers.

One thing im noticing about the ad is the failure to mention what kind of halos they are. CFL halos are the brightest and have the most consistent light output throughout the entire halo. LED halos can vary in brightness depending on the quality of the led and the halo ring. You will notice...
Back