2006 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1. E

New and need some help

Hey thanks for having me, my mom has a mercury mountaineer V8 Awd 2006. We can't afford much so I'm trying to fix this things rear differentials that keep going out. Thank you!
  2. T

2006 Ford Explorer Starts with starting fluid and runs fine won't start on it's own cold

I have replaced the Throttle Body, fuel rail sensor, fuel pump regulator, MAF sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump relay in the fuse box, and the air filter. The engine cranks but will not start cold unless I use starting fluid. Once it starts it runs great, smooth, lots of power and no issues and I...
  3. M

Coolant pipe behind alternator

I have a 2006 mercury mountaineer, 4.0. I am in the process of replacing the heater control valve and noticed the coolant line that runs behind the alternator and to the thermostat is very rusty/ needs replacing. I can't find the same part in a parts diagram or on rockauto etc. Has anyone...
  4. E

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer

I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer and and hoping to add a few options. I pulled the navigation out of a mountaineer and installed that then got a Aux, Memory seats / switch and heated mirrors /switch. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to add these options. I mainly want add...
  5. A

2006 Explorer XLT Washer Fluid Issue

My windshield washer fluid pump isn't working. Figured it might be clogged, so I blew compressed air throughout. Still didn't work so I bought a new pump ($19) and installed it, but still not working. Asked my dad to listen if the pump hums when I press the switch, he says it was silent. I'm...
  6. H

4.6l high mileage reliability and maintenance?

I have a 06 eb v8. Just wondering considering all the vvt issues these modular engines have, such as phasers, tensioners, guides, solenoids etc. How reliable are these 3v engines realistically. Mine has about 185k on it right now. Timing has never been done. No ticks or anything like that. I of...
  7. W

Reverse only works on flat ground

Hi all, I have a 2006 Explorer XLT V6 AWD... Picked it up recently from a rear brake job and within a day or two of the work shifting into reverse became a hard drop, and it stopped backing up any level of incline. I can still reverse on flat ground, and everything else operates well. When...
  8. R

2006 Blower Motor Resistor

My Explorer is 2006. I do not have the "turn dial" fan or temperature knobs on the dash. I have the up and down arrows for dual climate control. My fan is stuck on full blast. All of these forums and YouTube videos make it look so easy to locate, remove and replace the blower motor resistor. I...
  9. C

Hello and intermittent no crank on 2006 Explorer

I have a 2006 Explorer XLT. Was doing the standard no crank thing. Power, lights stay bright. I tightened loose negative batery post cable and it started. Then it no crank again so I am assuming its the old starter as it has 150,000 so I might as well change the starter. I look at the old...
  10. S

5R55E Won't Engage In Any Shifter Position

I have to start by saying I have read many of your transmission posts in the past and they have been very helpful with a third gear issue I had about a half year ago. I adjusted the band and solved that problem. I also must tell you that you are all much more adventurous about working on...
  11. D

2006 Explorer heater blower assembly

Hi everyone, new to this site and hope that I can get some great help from here. As stated, have a '06 Explorer, one day while doing preventative maintenance on my vehicle, I ended up looking behind the glovebox at the blower motor/heater blower assembly and noticed a build up of dust on the...
  12. M

Laserfit led light bulbs

Put some led bulbs on think it looks pretty good make a difference too. Headlights and fogs.
  13. P

Water In Spark Plug Well Solution

I have been meaning to post my experience with this but keep forgetting. Got on here tonight and the top post was about this same issue. So I made a quick video. The only ignition coil I have had go bad was the number 8 cylinder coil. Which is the one that used to get water in it. The water...
  14. D

Misfires, abs, idle, and ac...oh my 2006 X

Well many an issue has surfaced in the year I've had this explorer...it's a love hate relationship nowadays... She is a 2006 explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 6cyl with 137900 miles Now for the issues Misfire code for cyl 1. I found the spark plug wires to be hard, and god knows when it had a tune up...
  15. C

Ford Explorer 2006 won t start crank only 2 sek

Hi. I have a big problem with my Explorer 2006 v8. My car won t start. It cranks only about 2 sek. When i try crank and next go back on ingition position and again try to start the car, nothing happends, only instrument cluster turns off. When i pull out the key from ignition and put in again...
  16. R

06 SOHC V6 4.0 bank 1 misfires

Been trying to get to the bottom of a bank 1 misfire. Actual codes are for cylinders 1, 2, 3, and random misfire. All happening at different times. Car seems to run fine until 45-50 mph and trying to accelerate, maybe somewhat of a lumpy idle, and/or odd lumpy acceleration. Doesn't feel as...
  17. K

06' Explorer won't reverse.

So I'm really ignorant when it comes to vehicles, truly. So please understand that before I ask stupid questions! I can do the basics like change my oil etc but am lost when it comes to anything advanced. So basically my reverse went out about a month ago. I've got about 150k miles on it, and...
  18. F

Front bumper removal

Most of it is straight forward with bolts or plastc screw push clips. But in front of the tires there are brackets that have me stumped. I cant seem to find any info on how these assemble or disassemble. Anyone with experience please help.
  19. D

Electrical issue?

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 XLT 2WD and it keeps losing power/shutting off, first the ABS light comes on then a few others then all the lights in the car start to dim and turn off , can't use the powers buttons to put window down or up or to open/lock doors. Replaced battery and it worked...
  20. E

Lets do 4.56 Gears on this 4.0L 06'..

Hi All... Its decided... 4.56 gears going into my 2006 4th Gen XLT 4X4 4.0L V6. Now.... what else should I do at the same time? And what gears should I go with? Are there swap options from Jeeps or other stock Fords? I have access to lots of salvage but I will probably purchase new if swap...
  21. S

2006 radiator hose leak? Video

Guys, I need your help. My good friend, who isn't very mechanically inclined has a leak on his explorer's lower radiator hose area. I'm trying to get him back on the road ASAP, and need help diagnosing by this video what is going on. It look to me that the hose is leaking near the right (I the...
  22. 0

Will tail lights from 2006-newer explorer fit a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and at a loss. Mountaineer tail lights are becoming harder to find in my area and I was wondering if tail lights from a similar year explorer will fit? Or if anyone could point me in the direction of finding aftermarket tail lights for 2006 or newer mountaineers. Thank...
  23. R

Introduction/Build Thread

Hi everyone my names Case and I'm originally from Lawrenceville, Ga. I currently attend Valdosta State University and am the proud new owner of a 2006 Explorer Limited. Its in great condition inside and out and I've already been putting some personal touches into it. Unfortunately I don't have...
  24. F

Another Explorer Bites the Dust

Haven't Posted in months due to me being so busy, finally got around to it but with bad news. My beloved 2006 Explorer was hit and deemed totaled. Very Sad day in my house. Coming home, someone ran a red light and pushed me up onto the median, bull bar took most of the impact and cops said...
  25. S

abs and traction control light?

whats going on guys,i got another issue with my truck.2006 awd mountaineer.here is what happened,driving to work last week and the abs and traction light came on.they would go on and off randomly i cant make it happen every time.twice i had the tires lock up on me pulling out of my driveway.i...
Back