overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

overheating

1. A

ford explore temp rises with ac

i have a 2006 ford explorer and have been having two problems with it for a good while now. the first problem is that the car begins to over head when the Ac is on and the car is in idle. when i’m driving with the ac the temperature stays normal, but once i’ve been driving for a while and then...
  2. J

2006 4.6 V8 overheating in winter only

So my 06 Mountaineer has had a strange overheating problem for a while and i can’t tell if it’s a true sensor reading or not. This car is my every day daily driver and for the entire summer season, the car started and ran every day, taking 2 hour trips twice weekly without fail. come the cold...
  3. A

4.0L Coolant Temp Spiking with A/C

Hey everyone and thanks for having me, Been browsing the forums and hoping someone could help me on this. Bought a 2010 4.0L explorer last month, and have recently been having problems with the temp gauge spiking on the higher side when driving, especially so when I have the A/C on. If I turn...
  4. F

The noise of the aircraft from under the hood and the sign "vehicle overheating" lights up.

Hello. My Ford Explorer IV has an incomprehensible problem. For two years now. Reading error codes does not give any results - as if everything is in order. But sometimes, when I start driving and press the gas pedal, the fan noise is heard under the hood. I don't press the gas pedal - it's all...
  5. J

Overheating/starting issue

I have a 1996 explorer XLT 4.0 4x4. I just bought it and it has an issue where it won't start after it warms up and sits for a few minutes. It was showing code 0420. I cleaned iac, and changed maf. Once it starts tho It runs great. Well until 2 days ago. This is unrelated. It started...
  6. R

HELP!!! 1993 Ford explorer fluctuating temperature gauge again

Hey everyone my 1993 Ford explorers temp gauge is fluctuating again I put a water pump radiator radiator cap lower and upper radiator hoses and a new Motor craft thermostat on as well as a new overflow tank it's full of coolant and a new temperature sending and the coolant is bright green and...
  7. D

CylinderHead overtemp P1285

i have a 2016 Explorer base model 4x4 2.3 EcoBoost. It started with a misfire P0302 and coolant smell from exhaust with coolant level in reservoir dropping very little each day while using vehicle. . Moved plug to 1 and coil to 3, cleared codes and P0302 came back. Misfire was only at startup...
  8. S

cracked heads are off, can I save my bottom end?

Hey y'all, newbie here who just got his first explorer, 98 explorer sport, 4.0L OHV, 2WD, 5MT, 105,000 original miles. Picked it up for scrap cost from a friend because it had overheated and would idle okay but was almost impossible to drive. I've been trolling the forums to learn about this...
  9. M

The Dreaded Leaking Thermostat Housing...

I recently did my intake manifold gaskets and while I was there, I replaced the stupid leaking upper thermostat housing. It had been leaking around the gasket for some time and with coolant at $20 per now, I figured it was a good $15 investment. All said and done, I buttoned it all up and...
  10. A

Possible Voltage Regulator or Battery Failure

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited I'm working on and I'm trying to figure out whether I need to get a new battery, a new alternator, or just a new voltage regulator. The battery before starting reads a decent 12 volts, but reads 14.6 or so once running, which seems a bit to high. Occasionally...
  11. N

I'm going insane. Overheating again.

Okay, thought the problem was fixed. 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, 4.0 SOHC. I can idle all day but once I drive it or rev it high around 2k, the temp rises. I run the heat and AC, no changes still rises. A lot of the water in the radiator goes back into the reservoir, no bubbles that I've noticed...
  12. N

Hi, and I need help. Overheating.

Hi, I own a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4. I recently did a radiator flush about 5 days prior to my "incident". I did a quick drive to stretch its legs a bit. About 5-7 minutes into the ride I notice my temperature skyrocket and my check gauge light came on. I pulled over immediately. I noticed...
  13. F

Dumping Coolant

In the last year my 91 Ex has been steadily loosing coolant, causing it to overheat. When I first noticed this it was a minor amount, but progressively got worse. Then I noticed that even when the coolant levels were topped off, it would still overheat a little on hills. It's kind of hard to...
  14. W

2003 4.0 slight overheating issue?

Hi everyone I have a '03 4.0l that for the better part of 6 months I've been fixing different problems on, coolant leaks being of them, and this is the latest in the saga. so at the end of may this year, my car developed a coolant leak. which was 'fixed' by reseating the thermostat o-ring which...
  15. J

Solved Overheating/coolant overflow

I have a 92 explorer. It overheated yesterday after driving around a hilly park at slow speeds for about a half hour. I cooked it down and put water and what coolant I had in it. Now idling in the driveway it starts to heat up after 5 minutes and coolant starts overflowing from the fill tank...
  16. F

06 Explorer Rough Idle when in Park..Help

Here is what I got: 2006 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0 Sohc v6 121,000 Miles Here is what happened: Vehicle overheated due to thermostat housing melted and seam separated. Here is what I've done: Replaced Thermostat housing Radiator Flush and fluid replace Oil Flush and fluid replace Changed PCM,spark...
  17. R

2003 4.0 V6 having overheating problems

Hi, my explorer has been having trouble this summer with overheating and I'm not sure whats causing it. About 4 months ago it got in a rear end collision which broke the headlight header panel, but that has since been fixed. About a month later, the water outlet cracked at the seams while...
  18. J

1997 4wd OHVFI 4.0 Explorer Overheating

Ok, first time Ford owner. Replaced the water pump because it was losing coolant to discover that the freeze plug in the driver's side head had a tiny, oval shaped hole in it and had to be replaced. Replaced that to find that it is overheating with no loss in power leading me away from the...
  19. D

Overheating. HELP!

'99 V8 AWD Mounty. Temp went way up. I turned the car off before it overheated. Steam from the passenger side of the radiator by the air filter box. No heat in the car. Overflow reservoir is full. The drivers side cap is barely hot. Engine temp cools down in about 10 mins. I can go 3 or...
  20. R

Transmission Troubleshoot

I have searched the transmission section without seeing an answer to this. So, if the information is in there, please post a link, not just "look at the sticky", because I already have. That said, if this hasn't been covered before, I'd be surprised. I had an overheating issue. Got a busted...
  21. B

1993 4.0 overheating

Hello, new to the thread. And very sorry if this has been posted before. I also am having trouble finding info on the web. Doesnt help that im bad with technology haha. I have a bone stock 1993 explorer sport. New water pump. New thermostat. New radiator. Changed the spark plugs and although old...
  22. S

2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 Oberheating issue

I have a 2002 Ford explorer and am having an overhesting issue. First i had a hose that cracked and started leaking so i replaced it (first sign of something wrong to come). I noticed sfter that the car would hear up to normal temperature in normal amount of time but i would still have no heat...
  23. B

HELP! Big coolant and idle issue

Hey guys, Blake here. SO here's the new issue with the Exploder. For some apparent reason, I am losing coolant all the time, but it's not usually in the ground, it's on the underside of the engine. I'm talking like a gallon every other day. I just recently installed my 3rd thermostat...
  24. O

Hot sauce!

Hey everyone Joe DiVito here new to this board , I have a 05 Sport Trac with 185K been driving Fords since 1969 I love my Fords. Been getting great service from my Sport Trac nothing major at all but lately been having some coolant problemsd. I replaced my thermostat housing and for 1 year no...
  25. M

2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer Overheating

Hi All Your Support Needed I bought American used Ford Explorer 2007 Eddie Bauer v8 4.6 before 3 Years, It was winter when I bought the vehicle, everything was good I loved the vehicle and the summer starts. Whenever I stuck in traffic the vehicle starts overheating with AC on, but if AC...
Back