OBD Code reader won't link to vehicle! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD Code reader won't link to vehicle!

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2006 X xls w/45k miles. I bought it from a dealer about 6 mos. ago and it had 32k. I recently tried using my code reader (just for the fun of it....no cel) and it won't link to the vehicle. I tried it several times and still nothing. I tried it on my wife's 2004 Colorado and it worked fine, no problem. I used a flash tuner briefly, shortly after I bought it, but it wasn't for me, so I returned the vehicle to stock and verified it. I returned the tuner and no longer have it. I also recently had an ABS tone ring replaced by the dealer and they had no problem resetting the system (3 warning lights were on.) My concern is that it might keep me from getting a NYS inspection in November. Here in NY State, the inspectors use the OBD port to link to the vehicle. This is really bothering me. Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have a blown fuse somewhere, check them allllll

OK I will. That was my first thing I was going to do. I know that the port itself has it's own 20A fuse in Loc 4 in the fuse panel abv. the parking brake. I was going to check it the other day, but the fuse panel is the most impossible one yet and I need a little more time to do it. But, yes, I will check ALL the fuses. I was also wondering if my Remote Starter might have something to do with it. I didn't install it myself, but a good installer did. Thanks for the suggestion Patrick.

sure thing, im not just speaking for explorers, but for all makes/fords at least.. because i have had a few come in to our ""stealership"" that wont hook up to our diagnostic computer because the cigarette lighter has shorted at the socket, blowing a fuse that makes both the lighter socket and the obdII port inop. along with a few other misc. accessories

just some word for thought

Its possible you scanner can't handle the newer protocol. IIRC the 2006 Fords you Can Bus. we had to buy a new scanner when we got our 06 mustang as our older one couldn't handle it.

Also, I have also seen a blown cig lighter fuse cause no cel and no communications, but that was on a 2001 chevy car.

~Mark

Its possible you scanner can't handle the newer protocol. IIRC the 2006 Fords you Can Bus. we had to buy a new scanner when we got our 06 mustang as our older one couldn't handle it.

Also, I have also seen a blown cig lighter fuse cause no cel and no communications, but that was on a 2001 chevy car.

~Mark

Mark,

What does "....newer protocol. IIRC the 2006 Fords you Can Bus." mean? Can you explain a little more please. I believe a call to my scanner company (ACTRON) is in order. Thanks.

Ed

I just checked the 'actron' website and they say that all their readers are CAN compliant. But I'm not sure if that's just the newer readers....I bought mine in 2002. I'll call them and ask. How do I know if the 2006 Explorers are CANBUS?

Well...........I checked all the fuses (the box in the cabin and the box under the hood,) and the VECI sticker under the hood says it's OBDII compliant. I can't believe the computer is defective! The flash tuner I used had no problem doing it's thing, and Ford had no problem resetting the system after my recent brake work. What next? Sell it?? Very frustrating.

Take it to AUtozone or somewhere where they scan it for free. If they can scan it then it's your scanner thats the problem.

It's not my scanner....I scanned my wife's '04 Colorado and it works just fine. But taking it to Autozone might be a good idea anyway, just to see what they say.

From what I can find on the 'net (which you know is always accurate :)) The 2005+ explorers use Can Bus and All US vehicles will use it by the 2008 model year.

since your scanner is from 2002 I would doubt it would handle it. If it can't it won't connect to the vehicle which could explain what your seeing.

As it was described to me, Can Bus (Controller Area network) is a way to have many sensors etc on the vehicle share wires etc. How that actually affects the scanner I can't answer. I just know if your scanner can't support Can Bus than it won't connect to the vehicle.

~Mark

It is more than likely your scanner. I have a 06 EB and my 04 OTC scannter would not link to my 06, I had the OTC scanner updated and now it will read the 06.

Yes, thanks....I called Actron and they said that more than likely my scanner is outdated (i.e. CANBUS,) and they said it's not upgradable and I'd have to buy another scanner.....par for the course. I can't blame them, it's not their fault. Just to be sure, I'm going to see if I can get Autozone or somebody to scan it with a newer scanner, just to be sure. Once again, thanks for the good information. Ed

Here's the final chapter. It's a good story. I hope at least 1 person has 2 minutes to read this. Today I went to Advance Auto Parts, where I originally bought the scanner and they let me try the 2 Actron scanners they were currently using. One looked beat up and old, but the other was just out of the box and looked top-of-the-line...bigger...nice display....better menus, it even had a usb port for updating. Guess what....neither would link to my vehicle. I was very depressed. I went to the Ford dealer next door, I had about an hour to kill before work. I went to the service department, and asked him if they took walk-ins. The service manager asked me what the problem was and I told him. He said they could take a quick look at it and I told him I only had 1/2 an hour or so for a quick diagnosis. They took my truck right in, and after about 20 min. or so he told me that they had no problem linking to the vehicle and that I could take a look if I wanted to. So I went back into the service area and there was a mechanic with a scanner plugged into my truck and it was reading "PASSED." I was surprised and even more so because the scanner he was using looked exactly like mine. It was the exact same model Actron scanner that I had. I couldn't believe it. It was a newer model (certainly not brand new though) and it had 2 more pins on the connector than mine, 9 opposed to 7. The mechanic asked me if I wanted to buy it from him (What!) because he was upgrading, and I said yes, but I was short of cash, so I'll go back tomorrow and pick it up. Even better, when I went to pay my bill for the 1/2 hr, the service manager said "no charge." I thought I was dreaming. I told him I'd but my next set of tires there. What a great experience!! Generally, I can't stand dealers, but I hate to admit that they do have their place and they can certainly surprise you once in a while. They really helped me today....this was driving me crazy. I don't know what in the heck Advance Auto is doing.

Had an old model Actron that didn't read any Can Bus cars, including my "06 EB. My friend has an exact "look-alike" Actron (even with the same model #), and his reads my SUV and new cars. It all depends on the software revision of the reader.

I went out and bought a new reader that is Can Bus compatible and it reads with no problem. The new one also has a USB connection for software upgrade downloads.

Yep....that's the same with me . Same model #, newer software....and don't forget 9 pins in the connector...not 7. I also think the instructions changed. My old scanner instructons called for the key to be in the on position, NOT the accessory position. With the newer scanner it only works with the key IN the accessory position. I tried it both ways and that's what I found out.

Accessory Only?

I am interested to know what make and model scanner you are using that only works in the accessory switch position vs. that of the on or run position. That doesn't make any sense to me.:exp:

FireKing, this post is from 2009 and the issue back then was the 9 pin OBD II connection vs. 7 pin and all the units now tell you what position to put the key in when interfacing with the vehicle or it doesn't matter for pulling codes it just has to be in the run position for live vehicle readings. Autozone and most other parts stores with a code reader use the Actron 9580 for vehicles with an OBD II interface, if you are wondering.

Back