‘95 Explorer - O/D off flashing

GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
So today I was on my way to work when I got ont he highway I noticed that my o/d off light started flashing for the first time since I’ve owned it. It still drove but when I downshift from 2nd - 1st it clunked really bad, the first time it did the abs kicked in. The only shifts that are bad are 1-2 or 2-1 any help on what is the problem that’s would be nice thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ll plan on doing that when I get home later even though it will be 11pm

Sadly I have to do with a jumper wire and the check engine light if that is all

Fluid level good?

When I was having that flashing OD light with hard shifts problem showing up frequently, my transmission fluid needed to be filled a bit.

I still get it occasionally, but all I do is turn off ignition, restart, and the OD light is gone and shifting is normal.

I usually don’t bother check the tabs fluid because ever since I bought it I’ve always checked it and it never changes. I haven’t yet within the week. Also background info, when I would reverse sometimes there would be a horrible binding or clunking sound and I would have a lot of resistance. I would have to apply the gas to overcome it and then it would just clunk and move normally. My other shifts and okay just 1-2 and it clunked from 2-1 overdrive doesn’t work as far as driving home from work

I posted just before in another thread, someone has a 95 with a similar problem, you can read it there. If the fluid is good I would inspect the servo, you may have to drop the cat, it is not a big deal, just cut 3 bolts and replace with a new gasket. If the band is broke(there would be a piece in the pan), time for a rebuild. There is a procedure to adjust the band if it is not broken, but it is on borrowed time.

So today after school I read the codes and I got code # 648 and that’s it. Apparently it has something to do with 4th gear , which doesn’t make sense unless I don’t have 4th gear, yesterday I was going 55 at 2.5 thousand rpm, I have a 3.73 rear diff ratio. That seems a little high for 4th so I may have just had 1-2-3 but I don’t know... anyway I cleared the codes and test drove it and it stopped flashing and drove like before. I will see if it does it again when l get on the highway Togo to work.

Fluid is good, I drove to work and it started flashing again. It didn’t engage to overdrive so later when I get off work I will clear the codes and turn off overdrive and see how it works. I have the same issue as this guy 95 explorer DTC 648 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
If so what solenoid do I need to replace?

It could be a number of things such as a broken band, a band out of specification, a leaking servo piston, a faulty connection in the internal wiring harness or the bulkhead connector. Sometimes a sensor such as the MAF, TPS or the coolant sensor will tell the PCM not to engage overdrive.

Got off work, was going to clear the codes again but I didn’t have a wire in my car and I didn’t want to pluck the battery. The o/d light is still flashing but overdrive actually worked on my drive home! I was surprised as hell

What you're feeling is firm engagement when the computer goes into FMEM or better known as "limp mode". The PCM will raise the pressure of the EPC solenoid to compensate for hydraulic fluid pressure loss to help make gear engagements firmer. It's not recommended to drive for long periods of time like this since it applies excessive hydraulic pressure on seals.

So when I reset the code again I can drive with overdrive off without a problem, it just starts blinking when It tries to engage overdrive if that adds any more idea. Before it started this t used to clunk something in reverse where I would have to apply the gas to overcome it.! 1-2 is very delayed everything else is pretty normal, slightly delayed but not as bad as 1-2. Should I take it to a trans shop or should I be fine driving with overdrive off?

So when I reset the code again I can drive with overdrive off without a problem, it just starts blinking when It tries to engage overdrive if that adds any more idea. Before it started this t used to clunk something in reverse where I would have to apply the gas to overcome it.! 1-2 is very delayed everything else is pretty normal, slightly delayed but not as bad as 1-2. Should I take it to a trans shop or should I be fine driving with overdrive off?
1-2 eventually goes away if the band breaks. A trans shop who knows what they are doing can inspect the servo and valve body.

So today it started flashing again and I just turned it on, cleared the codes and It did it again.
This time I got a new code 645 and the old code 648.
4th gear failure
1st gear failure

Everything is falling apart!!!!!! I might call a trans shop and she what thI estimate is on a rebuilt or remanufactured transmission. I don’t have enough money for either one yet though, especially with work cutting my hours

Expect a rebuild to be 1,500-2,000. Typically when the 4r55e starts giving you trouble your days are numbered. If you drive any considerable distance to work or school I’d prepare for it to catastrophically fail.

Called the trans shops, bout $2800 for a rebuild, but he said it doesn’t sound like it needs a complete overhaul. Though he didn’t tell what I needed exactly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the exact same model color .i have the same codes that ur getting no overdrive trans shop is replaceing valve body as mentioned before if band was broken it would be in the pan. you can try to adjust the overdive band if it goes in to far without tightening up the band is broken

Back