【REQ】 98' SOHC want seafoam (Location Question with pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

【REQ】 98' SOHC want seafoam (Location Question with pics)

X-Files

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC V6 4L
:salute: ....As newbie here, even searched all the Tips and Pics before Seafoam, still confused about the right postion to seafoam!

So I take some photos to make thing straight : (BTW: My Explorer is '98 Sport SOHC V6 4.0L 4WD 2Drs)

PIC1 :
after read this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120853&highlight=sea+foam+incertion+point

I want make sure "Is this (marked yellow color)the power brake booster vacuum line ?",if it is, which side I should Pulling up?(Point A or Point B ?)
Image000.jpg

PIC2:
after read another thread,said IAC method with PIC,but I cant find it out,so (marked yellow color) this is the right hose for IAC method on SOHC,yes or not?
Image001.jpg

PIC3:
OK.the last one, famous hardly to find : PVC valve ?
read this great thread(#11): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1439158&postcount=17
told me to check this thread for PIC of 98' SOHC: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1895186&postcount=2
dude, I cant find anything like PVC valve at that PIC !so I shoot my photo with same angle,anybd find anything?
Image002.jpg

I think my question with pics is very clearly,.....Any help will be appreciated !help me find right hose to seafoam! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ther will be a port on the back of each plenum or maybe in the runners, you may want to remove the cover, the pcv draws through both sides so its evenly distibuted. what i did is used some tube and a tee connector and fed the seafoam into the manifold throught hte pcv ports through a sort of homemade y-pipe.

The brake booster hose is correct. You need to feed seafoam into point B of the hose.

guys......thx alot for Reply....I will try The brake booster hose ! thx again~~

I know I'm a girl and all, but you probably can't find anything on it if you're searching for pvc, instead of pcv... :)

True, Shanna!

I'm not a fan of putting Seafoam into your intake. For the life of me I can't see where it will do anything except make lots of smoke. However, if you're hell-bent on doing this DO NOT just dump it in whichever hose you chose. Go slowly with the engine running. If you pour too much in all at once you run the risk of hydro-locking (and ruining) your engine.

Carbon is a very hard substance. If you soaked a carboned up part (intake plenum, piston or valve) in Seafoam and let it sit for a week I doubt it would do much, so running a bottle of Seafoam through your intake isn't going to do much of anything in my opinion.

If you want to put something in your engine that has actually been proven to clean things, get yourself a bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and put it in your gas tank.

Cleaning the carbon from the inside of you plastic intake plenum is almost impossible, even with it removed. Plus you'll likely find quite a bit of oil in the bottom of it.

I do recommend you remove an clean your throttle body with CRC Throttle Body Cleaner and clean your MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner. You can also remove and clean your IAC valve with the throttle body cleaner.

The PCV valve on the Job 1 SOHC V6 is located on the extreme rear of the engine just left of center. It is a major PITA to change, made harder by the fact that the old rubber hose connecting it to the engine gets stiff with age.

cleaning the carbon from the inside of you plastic intake plenum is almost impossible, even with it removed. Plus you'll likely find quite a bit of oil in the bottom of it.

I soaked mine in kerosene for a day
Shook it like every hour if I remembered
Did a very good job
Did not get it all but got a good 8th in off it
Best way I could think of to clean it

As far as the carbon on piston s I use marvel mystery oil in the gas I use it when I fill up
It will clean the **** out of the piston s
Just not in 1 fill up It takes a couple tanks

koda2000 - You recommended putting Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank. Which parts will this clean? Which parts will it not clean? Should I replace the fuel filter after using it?

donalds - You recommend putting Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank. Which parts will this clean? Which parts will it not clean? Should I replace the fuel filter after using it?

Thanks for any information you can share... much appreciated.

The mmo will clean your fuel system
Injector s fuel lines
Anything the fuel touches
It will lube your pump
It will clean the carbon off the top of your pistons
The mmo is a long term method it cleans over time
I have been using it for a long time

The mmo will clean your fuel system
Injector s fuel lines
Anything the fuel touches
It will lube your pump
It will clean the carbon off the top of your pistons
The mmo is a long term method it cleans over time
I have been using it for a long time

What about the fuel filter... should I replace it after using MMO in the gas tank?

Use the techron to clean it good the first time then mmo to keep it clean

What about the fuel filter... should I replace it after using MMO in the gas tank?
I would after the initial cleaning

Plus
I don't know about the techron
But the marvel I put more in than the bottle says
You decide how much
I added a full bottle to my friends truck with a full tank it had excess carbon on the piston causing spark knock did not hurt a thing
I have never heard of or seen mmo hurt anything
Koda will chime in with his advice I'm sure of it
Remember we are telling you what we use on our engine s
Do your research

I use Chevron Techron with each oil change. I believe it is helpful in keeping my fuel injectors clean, which helps in maximizing my fuel economy (which is pretty poor on the Explorer regardless of which engine you have).

You don't say why you're concerned with using using an additive. According to the video @donalds provided, none of these products does much regarding "cleaning-up" an engine that's already dirty. There are no additives that provide a tune-up in a bottle if that's your aim. If you have 250,000-300,000 miles on an engine, or have an engine that has not received regular routine maintenance it's going to have significant wear and will burn a certain amount of oil. Oil burning fouls spark plugs and builds carbon within the cylinders and on the valves. This build-up has the effect of raising compression, which leads to pre-ignition (or spark knock). Even if you disassembled your engine and cleaned everything up extremely well (as was done on the non-fuel injected, air cooled, ancient lawn mower engine) carbon and oil build-up will reoccur quickly. I will say that using a carbureted, air cooled engine for the tests may not be indicative of a water cooled fuel injected engine's results. Lawn mower engines are known to be terrible polluters because they are extremely inefficient.

If your goal is to maximize your engine's efficiency, do a tune up (spark plugs. plug wires, air & fuel filters, clean the external parts I suggested in my earlier post) do regular oil changes and replace pre-cat O2 sensors if they have over 120K on them.

There are all kinds of useless additives and gizmos on the market that are supposed to increase fuel economy and power, clean and lubricate internal engine parts and make your teeth whiter. I use Chevron Techron because it's the only additive that meets BMW's specifications. Perhaps it does little but I figure it can't hurt and all my vehicles (which have between 200,000-250,000 miles, receive regular tune-ups and scheduled maintenance) run great and get pretty good fuel economy considering their EPA estimated MPG.

That's my 2 cents based on my experience.

I will say that using a carbureted, air cooled engine for the tests may not be indicative of a water cooled fuel injected engine's results. Lawn mower engines are known to be terrible polluters because they are extremely inefficient.
The vid was just to show like you said they all don't do much
The mmo and techron witch I think are the best two do lube the injectors and get the carbon off the exhaust valves there are countless vids and threads on them even on water cooled fuel injection based engine
People use a scope in the spark plug hole
You may find some of the vids and literature interesting

Back