Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'00 5.0 cam position sensor voltage questions (p0340)

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Dylan Rodriguez, April 16, 2018 at 2:07 PM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dylan Rodriguez

Dylan Rodriguez New Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 explorer
      Basis: 2000 ranger xlt 2wd, 5.0 swapped with '00 explorer engine and trans from 2wd truck. Built engine and trans, too many mods to list. Yes I have done lots of searching concerning p0340.

When I installed my Holley Systemax 2 intake on the truck, the stock wiring wasn't long enough for the ECT sensor (for oem dash gauge) to reach the new sensor location. Truck wouldn't run, threw the p0340 code. Extended wire, connected sensor, all was well, no more code.
      Torque converter started acting up a week ago, started to not lock anymore after a certain temperature, then not lock at all. Got new PTC converter on the way. While the trans builder had his tool hooked up to the obd2, he saw that it had thrown the p0340 code again, but just a soft throw. Wasn't affecting performance in any way until I went to leave then the misfire was there. Come to find out, that ECT sensor wire had come undone partially. We fixed that, code went away, truck ran fine. I hopped off the freeway once the converter stopped locking up again, and noticed a slight engine deceleration issue. Used my SCT Livewire to check and the p0340 was there again. Shut truck off, cleared it, no problem for another 15min or so. Then code came up again, same deceleration "issue" with engine faltering some but never stalling or wanting to stall. Now it's throwing the code hard and won't stay running. Never drove the truck at all while it was misfiring or not running properly, has been in garage since it was a soft throw code and has gotten worse.

I'm getting .144v on grey/red wire at cam sensor connector, .128v on blue/orange wire. Key on, engine off, with code just being cleared. Is this proper? I'm wondering if the ECT wire made contact with my coil pack bracket at some point and affected ecu in some way, but the gradual degradation doesn't make sense. Going to check voltage at pinout at engine harness and pcm itself later today. Anything else I should check? Cam sychronizer itself seems to be in good condition; no particules inside the sensor cover, no shavings on sensor contact, no excessive slop between cam gear and synchronizer gear, no squeak from sychronizer, synchronizer adjustment hasn't changed either. Not sure what else to do at this point. Possible bad ecu?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Have you tried swapping the camshaft position sensor itself? Hall effect sensors don’t typically fail, but I’d guess it’s possible.

4. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      No sir I hadn't. Only has about 65k miles on it. Was hoping to troubleshoot voltage before spending $120+ on something that might not be the problem. Wondering if it's something with the circuit, same thing it was doing when the circuit was "broken" with the ECT sensor unplugged.

5. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Will be way less. You can get an economy for $20, and a Motorcraft for about $50, although I wouldn’t think it’s the issue.

6. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      Tried switching alternators also, same thing. When you're talking about the sensor you just mean the top part (sensor itself) right? Not the actual synchronizer itself? Have heard horror stories about cheapo synchronizers galling the cam gear up...if I was running a stock cam I'd try a cheapy but I'm running an Ed Curtis custom so that's the last thing I want to happen haha. Don't want any shavings from that floating around my oil pan

7. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Yes, just the sensor. If yours doesn’t squeak, and the rotor vane is snug, no reason to replace the drive. Also, you are spot on, I’d only do Motorcraft replacements for the drive.

8. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      I'll order up another sensor and see what happens. Anyone able to get a multimeter and tell me what readings they get at the cam sensor connector? I was showing 61 ohms on one of the wires but don't remember which one. Didn't get a chance to check mine while cranking, only key on engine off. Got upper intake off at the moment to see if there's any breaks in the wires along the way.

9. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      61 ohms between what and what? I can most likely check mine out tomorrow.

10. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      Doing a continuity test I get ~65.5ohm between grey/red and battery -

11. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      When you say 'numerous mods', have you done anything that lowers the idle, or you have the idle set to low? I can kick this code almost at will by dropping my idle down. I tried a couple alternators also. my idle just has to be a bit higher than id like.

12. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      It's a forged 347 stroker waiting for boost so lots done to affect idle haha, think idle with this cam only agrees around 800rpm, so it shouldn't be too low. Was tuned on dyno as well as street driving to check trans shift points and other things

13. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I'll check my idle tonight, and post back. I pretty much have my idle set at minimum before the dreaded p0340 comes up.

14. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      It’s snowing now. When it stops in a little bit, I’ll ohm out my connector and post.

15. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

16. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Unfortunately I need a 9v for my Fluke. I’ll get one later. I also have a new CPS and I’ll test the three pins on that as well.

17. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Looking for my small pin accessories. The CPS tests:
      Left pin to center 1,280 ohms
      Center to right. 845,000 ohms
      Left to right 3,720,000 ohms.

I’ll get the wiring info shortly

18. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Here's the lowest I could go on idle.

upload_2018-4-17_19-55-4.png

The guy tuning is going to look at you like you are insane, but I'd suggest having him add 100 rpm to both idle speeds for you as a test to see if the p0340 stays away. Also, you will need an idle speed adder for when the ac is on, otherwise...p0340. lol.

upload_2018-4-17_20-2-1.png

I know this sounds crazy, but I can reproduce the fault on my truck easily by just lowering the idle. I tried a couple of different alternators, so its not the alternator. Maybe your truck is behaving the same as mine. Very strange quirk, that's all I have to say.

19. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Also, this seems odd to me as the truck should run without the CPS altogether. I drove mine for several months before figuring out the issue. The sensor didn’t even need to be plugged in.

20. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      I ran it by the tuner, will see what he says. We recently went back to closed loop operation so maybe that's where the fault is. Hoping that's all it is.

Also Mbrooks, are you speaking of the cam sensor or crank sensor? My cam sensor is a 2 wire one also. Don't see how mine would run with it unplugged since the ecu uses the cam trigger to fire injectors appropriately

21. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Camshaft. Under the coils. On a 98 they are three wire. The factory computer doesn’t “need” it to run.

22. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      Thought so just wanted to double check. And for sure.

I had ordered a MSD DIS4+ for when I turbo and all that...anyway with all correct wiring, the two ignition adapters (PN8912), and all their wiring correct, the dis unit would still give me an "intermittent input signal" error code. With this information, would that lead any of you to check wiring somewhere else that finally let go? The truck would run fine with the MSD's harness connected and the bypass plug in, but as soon as the ignition adapters were plugged in and wired up and the harness plugged in to the MSD, truck wouldn't run. Already sent the unit and the 8912's to msd to have them tested and they checked out. Could it be a bad ecu maybe? This was an ecu I bought off eBay and the guy flashed it with my vin number and stuff.

23. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      No experience at all with that ignition. I'm just using factory ignition.
      I have not seen this upgrade before. Would you need 2 adapters? Do you have any wiring diagrams? How do the plug wires mount?

Sorry to derail your thread.

Edit: Did you wire like this? It looks like it keeps the existing coils. Seems strange. What do I know though?
      upload_2018-4-18_13-5-1.png

Last edited: April 18, 2018 at 2:05 PM
    24. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      Yessir, keeps coils, they have adapter harnesses where you plug them in to the factory coil pack connectors and wire it to the DIS's harness, so you don't have to butcher factory wiring any. The 8912's are used to tell the injectors when to fire from what I was told by MSD. I was able to get the truck to run before without them, it just had a misfire or hesistation if you blipped the throttle. No worries about thread jacking as I'm wondering if there's been a connection problem somewhere that the MSD was sensitive enough to have been triggered by, but the stock ecu just looked past it.

25. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Can you unplug the MSD box and confirm if the p0340 still shows up? I think your right, the msd box controlling ignition just might be throwing off the ignition timing enough for the ecu to pop the code.
      On a side note (Sort of related) I have a J@S knock sensor that retards timing when it hears knock. My ecm was throwing ignition codes because the J&S box was changing the dwell so much on the timing. Once I brought my timing tables closer in line, I quit getting the codes.

26. Dylan Rodriguez

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      2000 explorer
      It's the other way around, the box is always unplugged since it keeps giving the intermittent input signal code. It's been running recently with everything MSD taken out including the harnesses. Full stock now. Running screaming demon coil packs. Double checked and made sure the ground/black wire on the side of the coil packs was good and making a solid connection also.