02 Explorer fuel delivery problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer fuel delivery problem?

Propbuster

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
My 02 4.0 had an intermittent starting problem until one day it just quit. Checked spark and was good. Checked Schrader valve on fuel rail and no fuel present. Fuel pump fuse good, relay good, inertia switch depressed, can't hear if pump turns on with the ignition switch. So, I pulled the lines to the filter and turned on the ignition switch and no fuel is pumping out. Pulled the tank and fuel pump module. I put twelve volts to the pump and it works. Connected the pump back to the harness connector and the pump runs for 10 seconds and shuts off. So, if the pump seems like it's working correctly why am I not getting fuel to the fuel rail? Can the pump motor be running but still not pump fuel? Thanks in advance on any help here Guys, this is driving me nuts!

I have a few thoughts on this problem. 1. The pump might be working but not generating enough pressure to send the fuel to and through the filter. If this is the case you will need a new pump. 2. You might have a blockage somewhere in the line going to the filter. You could disconnect the line from the tank and from the fuel filter and try to blow air through it backwards to clear any blockage. 3. A problem with the PATS module preventing the fuel pump from turning on when the key is turned. Is the Anti-theft light flashing rapidly?

Good luck with it.

kill switch by the passenger door needs to be replaced just happened to mine it's a safety fuel cutoff switch

No sign of any problem with the PATS system. I put the pump in a container of fuel and it pumps under pressure. I'll just work my way backwards checking that I've got fuel along the way back to the fuel rail and see what I find. Thanks Guys.

Back