• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer, GEM ISSUES?

bigjim96080

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, or.
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer xlt
Hi. I have a 02 explorer xlt 4.0 awd. Recently my wife informed me that when she opened the door after removing the keys the door chime would sound. When I checked it out I noticed that the clock was staying on on the radio as well as the door chimes going off one long tone. Now a day and a half later that is still happening and also when you are driving the vehicle every time you step on the brakes the door locks cycle the puddle lights will come off and on randomly and the door ajar light illuminates periodically as well as the ABS light is illuminated. After reading a lot of different forms it sounds as if the gem module has failed. Any advice?

I would pull the rubber hose/boot/grommet that encases all the wires running from the front of the car/driver's wheel well, into the driver's door. Shove the boot one way or the other (maybe into the body?). Then look for broken wires--especially black one(s)--and repair any that you find. Common problem on third gens/other 'sploders.

spray all of the door latches with WD-40 don't spare the lube. operate all the doors several times.Mine was the drivers side rear door on my 02.

Well after trying everything that everybody suggest I ended up looking for the GEM module behind the radio and behind the instrument cluster. Could not find it after talking to the dealership I found out it is integrated in the instrument cluster. I took instrument cluster apart check for broken solder joints and cleaned all connections reassemble it reinstalled it put everything back together and now it works fine. Thank you for all the help gentlemen

Back