'02 Explorer Tranny Question

DBRACING

Reaction score
City, State
Rockland,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer
Hi All

I have a '02 Explorer 4WD V6. My tranny (5R55W) went south and I'm wondering if I could replace it with a 5R55S out of the same year Explorer. I know the casing and the electrical connections are the same, but, I don't know if it would work with the 5R55w computer.

Thanks!

those trannys come up on ebay all th e time..

First off let me disclaim any expertise on this. I know a reasonable amount about FORD trannies.... but when the 5R55E went into the W, S and N...... well let's just say I am still learning.

Anyway I am going out on a limb. I think you could switch an S into place of a W. They are close... I mean really really close sisters under the skin. From what I know the only difference is gearing.

Their gearing is the same in R, 1st, 3rd and 4th (3.07:1; 3.22:1; 1.54:1 and 1.00:1 respectively) 2nd differs and so does 5th. (2nd: 2:41 on W vs 2.29 on S. 5th: 0.75:1 in the W vs 0.71:1 in the S.

I was concerned that the computer inputs might be off swapping, but those ratios are so close I'd think you can do it easily.

You have been warned about idiots like me. Take your salt.

ps. Both started out as 2WD RWD only... Make sure the S can do the 4WD thing. (May be nothing more than a different output shaft and extension housing at the rear of the case).

Thanks for the input.

I put the tranny in last night. I'll keep you guys posted as to the outcome.

Back