How to: - '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So I got some things done. Pics to follow. Exhaust is modified and reinstalled with wideband installed. Turns out the downpipes are 2.25" id. Installed the MMR oil filter relocation kit. Alternator is on and both belt drives are installed. Started putting the engine harness on. Set the radiator in to see how much room I have. Seems to be about 4" but I still need to put the radiator hoses on. There is one that runs right down the middle of the radiator. Also swapped the trans cooler lines and fittings to the 4th gen 1/2" size. I hope this might keep the trans alive a little longer. It's getting close!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6E5EB2DC-FDE8-429A-8BA4-F4B4F56F83C7_zpsve8rmmzp.jpg

F7241213-518B-4EC6-9853-6A4938C3DA63_zpsr61jrpsm.jpg

CA64B0CC-42A5-41B6-891F-BB3BC819D914_zpsfzn43wqe.jpg

Here's a couple more

A09EC95B-4B9C-41FA-A00E-DC36515AF679_zpswru7gdrw.jpg

5BCC65FB-291F-4516-8B4A-68587DA304F1_zpsrkyyrgyk.jpg

CF66AFD8-DA61-47C3-A64B-6A85B39264AE_zpsgzl3l1yr.jpg

New transmission cooler is installed. Went to a '03-'07 diesel superduty trans cooler to go with the 1/2" lines. This thing is almost 3 times the size. Here is the normal explorer cooler.
0CF23AB9-3FEC-4803-8BD5-2192CC7F4D11_zps5s3vl91f.jpg
Here is the new one.
CBBB7F60-0D1F-4858-8E3B-03052E321132_zpstx3ve8sy.jpg

And all together again.
74B7A761-ABBA-4710-9B48-2270FBAECA5F_zpsnzjjjj2o.jpg

I am pretty sure I will be able to put the fans on the engine side of the radiator, so I decided to do this instead of putting a fan inside the assembly.

wow... Nice upgrade. Where and how much was the HD cooler?

also, why did you put it back in between the radiator and condenser? That really is a poor choice by Ford. Those condensers can get quite hot.

I got the cooler for free. I have another one from an '08-'10 superduty that is almost identical but not as tall. Maybe 3" shorter. I did put it back between the condenser and radiator. I rarely use the a/c anyway, so I figure it will be okay. I was going to move the cooler farther forward, but with the heat exchanger for the intercooler in front already, I didn't think I would have room.

IT'S ALIVE!!!! I got it started today. I didn't have my laptop with me so it's running super rich. I installed a mountaineer instrument cluster to match my phantom autometer white face afr gauge. Still no exhaust past the y-pipe, and no cooling system, but it runs.

Exhaust is on up to the axle. Finally have the cooling system buttoned up and filled. Haven't installed the fans yet. Working on the tuning right now also. It's still pretty rich at idle. I had to remove the spare tire and carrier, I don't think I will be able to keep it. This is as much of the exhaust as I can put on until I get over to my friends house to weld it. It sounds so good.
0B57BC22-4474-4C04-BDFB-4EF22AF8208A_zpsshoammas.jpg

AC11FFD4-0959-49DC-9A51-2E56C6B07027_zpslfqfhwh2.jpg

Need Audio!!!

I have been searching all over to hear an ultra flow on a Ford 4.6 (I want one bad) I'd love to hear your 4.6!

I'll see if I can take a video tomorrow.

Exhaust looks awesome so far.
What size is the inlet to the muffler?

3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlets

Here is a short video. No tail pipes still, so it will sound a little different.

Wow that sounds good! I forgot how much better an 8 cylinder sounds compared to a 6.
When people hear that they will be in fear of that Explorer!

So, I got most of the heat exchanger system for the intercooler done Saturday. I am still trying to get a tune together. I started with my old tune from the Mark VIII engine and loaded the value files from a cobra. It ran, but wouldn't idle, and was stupid rich. Wide band was reading a steady 10 at idle. I then leaned out the base fuel table as much as possible, it had zero affect. This was all because of the fuel pressure difference between the cobra and explorer, 45 psi electronic returnless vs 65 psi mechanical returnless. So I located the injector value files and there was a whole section of 65 psi mech returnless injector files. I loaded the 42lb/HR injectors, which I was pretty sure we're the right size for a terminator, and fired it up again. Well, now we have a good idle, 14.5-15.5 on the wideband, idles around 750rpm. I cracked the throttle ever so slightly and crap, pegged the wideband at full lean and misses out. So that didn't work out so well. Fast forward to 8 or 9 tunes later and another Sct x3 tuner, long story, still leans out under throttle.

Today I discover that the terminators actually have 39lb/HR injectors. Very slight difference, I know, but still different. I have 3 tunes built to load. 1 with my original cobra tune and only the injector info changed, 1 almost the same but with a richer base fuel table, and 1 with the same table but the 42lb injector info. Hopefully one of those will be better.

Nice just keep up the good works
And more photos please

I pulled my fuel tank today, got the pump and sending unit out, switched it over to the dual cobra pumps. Sending unit reinstalled and tank back in. All of my coolant lines are ran for the intercooler/heat exchanger. Still need to install cooling fans and wire them up along with the heat exchanger pump.

I am driving the struggle bus with the tune. I was able to get the last engine drivable, but this new one is fighting me. The last 2 tunes I made the engine wouldn't even start. The value files for the MAF are not working. The base fuel map is pretty close, but the MAF is not calculating correctly.

Are you are using the SCT/Derive tuning software called Advantage3 Proracer package?
I really like it but it can be frustrating at times.
Try to get your injector data correct, then you may be able to adjust the maf transfer function from there.
What PCM are you using?
What fuel system? Is it a return, mechanical returnless, or electronic returnless?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you tried unplugging the MAFS?

An ECU can run without the MAFS and O2 sensors. Very poorly, but it should be able run tuned correctly.

I have unplugged the MAFS while an engine is running and it hesitates at first but after a couple minutes runs just fine without it. I do not suggest driving this way but it may help to have the ECU ignore the MAFS.

Back