02 Sport fitments

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
Is an 2002 Sport the same as the 2nd gens or is it the 3rd gen? I'm having problem finding parts that fit because the 02 Sport in the computer is classified as the 3rd gen, but some 2nd gen parts are fitting.
I need ball joints. Should I be looking at a 2nd gen or 3rd gen parts?

Is an 2002 Sport the same as the 2nd gens or is it the 3rd gen? I'm having problem finding parts that fit because the 02 Sport in the computer is classified as the 3rd gen, but some 2nd gen parts are fitting.
I need ball joints. Should I be looking at a 2nd gen or 3rd gen parts?

I believe that 2001/2002/2003 2DR Sports with the new/curvy fenders are nothing more than rebodied 2nd Gen's

2002_ford_explorer-sport_2dr-suv_premium_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Regardless - I just checked for you and RockAuto.Com lists your 2002 Explorer Sport.

Rock Auto's catalog is spot on for everything I've ordered over the past 12 years of ownership.

Don't forget to obtain a 5% off discount code before checking out.

Rock Auto used to post it on this site, but no longer ;-(

BUT - they're easily obtainable on the Interweb - Google It!

The 01-03 Sport has EXACTLY the same front end as the 2001-2005 Sport Trac .....NO difference.
They are totally different from the regular 4-door Explorer.
To be safe, assume this means from the firewall forward. Also be aware the 2001 ST had two slightly different 4.0L SOHC configurations that changed mid year known as the Job 1 or Job 2 engine. Intake, throttle body, PVC, oil fill and filter, etc.
Difference between Sport/ Sport Trac Grille?

Looking on Rock Auto, they list the same front lower ball joints for 2nd gen Explorers, 3rd gen Explorers, and your '02 Sport.

As for the upper ball joints, which when OEM are permanently part of the upper control arm, look at yours to see which it is.
First pic is a 2nd gen upper left. Second pic is a 3rd gen upper left. They don't look much alike. Rock Auto shows an '02 Sport upper left control arm looks more like a 2nd gen, but is a different part # than either, so I suspect it's neither. See these:
2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT 4.0L V6 Control Arm | RockAuto

2L5Z3V083AA-FRO__ra_p.jpg

1L2Z3085AA-FRO__ra_p.jpg

Back