Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'02 Sport trac "tune up"

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by ptf18, February 6, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ptf18

ptf18 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Sport Trac
      Wife mentioned that her mileage had been decreasing for awhile. The S/T seemingly runs fine. I perform ALL the recommended (per the owners manual) maintenance and on the mileage timeline stated in the owners manual.

Are there other items I should "maintain" other than the "usual" stuff, ie filters, fluids, plugs, wires, etc.?

The engine has 90k on it. I'm thinking of things such as MAP and IAC cleaning. Items that are NOT listed in the owners manual but ARE recommended by various members on this Forum.

Thanks,
      ptf18

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      At 90k I'd replace spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter and PCV valve, clean the throttle body, MAF sensor (w/MAF cleaner) and the IAC valve. There's really nothing else to do tune-up wise.

Use Motorcraft wires, Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum spark plugs gapped to .054.

Some may suggest running Seafoam through the intake, but I don't see how that can help anything (just creates a lot of smoke) and if poured in too quickly can hydro-lock your engine, bending connecting rods. It's just snake-oil IMO.

4. sr139fox

sr139fox Active Member

City, State:
      North Carolina
      2001 Ford Sport Trac
      At 150k miles I changed plugs, wires, cleaned MAP & MAF sensors, use special cleaner. Cleaned inside Throttle Body with a spray cleaner. Oil and filter change. Went on vacation and got over 20 mpg. Truck has just short of 200k and still averages 20 mpg. Have chain rattle. But will drive it till the wheels fall off.

5. ptf18

ptf18 Active Member

2002 Sport Trac
      koda2000. Thanks. As for the plugs I was going to get the AGSF-22pp if I can find them (they are listed in the owners manual....2002 publish date). I "think" the AGSF-22FM is the current replacement that all are using and I will get them if need be. I've always only used Motorcraft parts. $$$$ but I feel they will always fit and last per Ford specs.

6. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Ford has been using the shorter "SP" number for YEARS. (Motorcraft SP500) Not my favorite AP store, but check O'Reilly's IF you need them right away, and almost guaranteed to be less expensive than your local Ford dealer.
      http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=94994

Last edited: February 7, 2018
    7. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      The Motorcraft plugs are my first choice, over Autolite, because the Motorcraft plugs are nickle plated where the Autolite's are not. I could not find the Motorcraft plugs locally and I bought the Autolite plugs. I don't live where the roads get salted, so rust isn't really a factor for me. If you live in the rust-belt, I'd order the Motorcraft plugs.

Don't forget to use anti-seize on the plug's threads and put dielectric grease inside the wire boots.