02 TDI Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 TDI Swap

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLS
Well I've always been a ford guy, and I've always been a diesel guy. After having owned and sold an Excursion (6.blow), due to trying to cut back on bills (its nice not having payments!), we started to outgrow my wifes DD (97 VW B4V TDI). I also DD a VW TDI, so we can see I have a problem with Ford's and TDI's. So what did we end up doing?

While cruising CL, I found a 02 4wd XLS Explorer, trashed interior, blown engine, no trans or transfer case (taken out for another explorer). $400 later, we now own it. A few weeks later I picked up a 02 ALH TDI.

Before:

1BDC48A3-7783-4937-8E01-AADA1D175869_zpsktf9ue3g.jpg

C72818C2-1765-4FBE-9DFA-5870B685B83F_zpsrvfnmzsb.jpg

After:
F89FD1DE-6523-411C-8F5E-1FFF1ABCFCF0_zpsb3lnpr5f.jpg

FFD46A49-B290-493A-BB1A-7571D83B2AFC_zpsux3nsjrw.jpg

5AE73B76-9A2F-4791-8C56-FF3902F24950_zpsbpwvof4p.jpg

a43c7a55-d9de-4595-ab61-4ba34ab62a6e.jpg

Here is what is going to be going in
1c0937ee-9e77-4d2a-8b19-d0a131811cd9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TDI is a running, complete swap with all of the wiring needed to get it to work. Right now I'm thinking either an M5OD-R1HD or a NV3550, and a manual shift transfer case (I'm not seeing any manual hubs though, so maybe thats not as big of a deal if its electric shift or not).

As far as the engine goes, it will get bigger injectors, and I plan on running compounds on it. The stock 10mm IP will do about 170 whp and over 300 ft-lbs.

As for the explorer itself, it will eventually get a lift and some tires, along with a 3rd row bench seat setup. I would like to build bumpers and a rack for the top as well.

So far:
$400 for the Explorer
$1000 for the TDI
-$50 for the over 20 gallons of gas that I got out of it :D

I'm hoping for high 20's mixed, and low to mid 30's on the highway.

Sounds like a fun project! Good luck and I look forward to your progress.

That is awesome. I've always wanted to do a Suzuki Samurai build with a 1.9l tdi swap. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I am so watching this one... good luck keep the posts coming...

I see you like ruining the planet with your awful emissions :D

I see you like ruining the planet with your awful emissions :D

Those sneaky Germans :eek:

Add onto that this will be fully "off-roaded" with its EGR system tuned out as well. What does the speedo read off of?

This is a really cool project! Keep us posted with your progress :thumbsup:

Subbed, lol this will be good!!! not sure where you are but if you want to upgrade from an XL roller ot a 02 eddiebauer roller I have one sitting here....

Well the engine is now on the stand, and the explorer is in the shop. I have most of the wiring labeled on the TDI (except for the ones that were already unplugged). Still need to pull the accessories and a few other things.

After that, I will pull the 4.0 in the explorer, making sure to label things as they might be important down the road.

I have my sights set on an early version M5R2, so shifter clearance will be a problem it sounds like, but what the heck.

explorer2.jpg

explorer1.jpg

I'm sure with accessories on the TDI it will look better, but right now that V6 looks massive compared!
tdi%20vs%20v6_1.jpg

I think I will have to notch the oil pan by the diff, hard to tell in the picture though.
explorer3.jpg

Look at all that room! AC lines that go into the evaporator are going to be a clearance issue (with the TDI's vacuum pump). Drivers motor mount isn't going to work. The TDI's power steering pump is almost in the exact same position the 4.0's AC compressor was (which has me thinking...). But it fits in there, no clearance issue with the diff.

photo%205._1.jpg

photo%201.jpg

photo%202.jpg

bottom turbo clearance
photo%204..jpg

photo%203..jpg

photo%202..jpg

photo%201..jpg

photo%205_1.jpg

photo%204.jpg

photo%203.jpg

A couple factors drove me from getting a 4bt or one of the newer variants.

1) A fully decked out TDI weighs ~ 360lbs, a 4bt weights 750+
2) 4bt's got expensive as hell
3) The hp/tq I can make from the TDI will be more than what the stock 4.0 made
4) TDI's run so much more smooth

They would probably both get the same MPG's within reason. A tune, injectors, and turbo on the TDI will do (depending on what you get), an easy 150whp and over 300wtq. The compound turbo I'm thinking will spool factory down low, and flow good on the top end. I'm thinking it will end up in the 175 whp, and 350 wtq range when I'm done, with the ability to tow anything within the explorers weight ratings without worrying about EGT's.

Look at all that room! AC lines that go into the evaporator are going to be a clearance issue (with the TDI's vacuum pump). Drivers motor mount isn't going to work. The TDI's power steering pump is almost in the exact same position the 4.0's AC compressor was (which has me thinking...). But it fits in there, no clearance issue with the diff.

photo%205._1.jpg

photo%201.jpg

photo%202.jpg

bottom turbo clearance
photo%204..jpg

photo%203..jpg

photo%202..jpg

photo%201..jpg

photo%205_1.jpg

photo%204.jpg

photo%203.jpg

Nice Build !!!

What Flywheel did you use.

Any progress made? Cool thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dying to see more

Back