03 Aviator dash lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Aviator dash lights?

hotrodlinc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Lincoln Aviator
Just recently lost dash lights , and A/C function. Checked fuses with no luck. Any suggestions to track down this problem. I did read in the Explorer forum that this problem could be related to the dimmer switch. Has any one had similar problems and what did you find ? Any info will be appreciated greatly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

03 Aviator dash lights.

BrooklynBay, thank you for the fast response. A little history here when the event happened. While driving the car that morning , after 5 minutes of driving we could smell a faint heating up of something , after arriving at our destination in a couple of minutes and shutting the car off for 20 minutes or so then starting it up to continue on that is when the dash lights were off and no A/C . with the warning chime staying on. I got home and checked fuses, pulled and did a visual , even swapped around with no luck. Now you mentioned relays . Could you advise me to location of the relays pertaining to this event? I also picked up a used dimmer switch to swap out and try. Thanks TIM.:hammer::hammer:

wiring diagram

Shown below is part of the interior lighting wiring diagram.
InteriorLighting.jpg

Do you have illumination on the window switches? If so, then the PWM High section of the Dimmer Module is functional and there is power to the module.
When you vary the dimmer "wheel" does the illumination change? If so, then the problem is not with the dimmer switch.
The functionality of the A/C should be independent of the lighting for the controls. Maybe just the illumination isn't working which indicates no output from the PWM Low of the dimmer module.
A defective sunload sensor will impact the intensity of the PWM Low & High outputs.
Since you smelled burning electronics I suspect that the dimmer module has failed. If there is still illumination on the outboard instrument cluster, the rear auxiliary function selection switch and the front auxiliary A/C switch then the dimmer "wheel" output is still good. Try varying the dimmer "wheel" and see if the illumination varies on those three controls.

Digital Dash lighting out!

:salute:Just to update my post I took the 03 Aviator to the local Ford dealer and and they replaced the dash board panel with a refurbished unit . Problem solved at a cost of $1600.00 dollars. I believe this problem all started when the moon roof started leaking previously. BEWARE of parking under trees when keeping your car outside. lesson learned.:salute:

Back