• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer 4.0

Bob the bridge guy

Reaction score
City, State
Brookville ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt?
I have a high mileage 4.0, well cared for, but rolled the vehicle. Found another explorer just like it with a bad engine. Started making the swap, but heard these engines have trouble with timing. What should I do while my engine is ou

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get a little time every weekend to work on this project. I have bothe engines out now. I decided to open the valve covers on the bad one 1st. The back chain is rubbing directly on a pin and has likely jumped. On the other side the back spring is broken and no sign of the retainer. Turned the engine over by hand covering one plug hole at a time with my finger and could only get a hiss, hint of compression on 3 cylinders. I think the seller was correct in his assessment that the engine was bad.

Change the timing chain cassettes and guides while you have the engine out. Also the tensioners.

Change the timing chain cassettes and guides while you have the engine out. Also the tensioners.
Thanks I went ahead and ordered all that. Now I need to order the gaskets and the yield to torque bolts too

Back