03 lincoln aviator | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

That kit/link looks like it only comes with one new valve for the VB, the TCC/Lockup valve assembly. So look on sites that carry the Sonnax parts, and see what they have for a 5R55S or 5R55W. It looks like those both have the same VB parts generally. I'd expect to find an o-ring kit which is made to replace a few of the VB end plugs, to utilize the o-rings, which stop leaking there. I'd expect there to also be at least a new Pressure Regulator Valve assembly. Those kind of small parts kits are usually very reasonable.

They do have a special new PRV for the 4R70W, along with two other versions of a PRV, and the new one is as much as $100. I got it from Summit for $65, much better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That kit/link looks like it only comes with one new valve for the VB, the TCC/Lockup valve assembly. So look on sites that carry the Sonnax parts, and see what they have for a 5R55S or 5R55W. It looks like those both have the same VB parts generally. I'd expect to find an o-ring kit which is made to replace a few of the VB end plugs, to utilize the o-rings, which stop leaking there. I'd expect there to also be at least a new Pressure Regulator Valve assembly. Those kind of small parts kits are usually very reasonable.

They do have a special new PRV for the 4R70W, along with two other versions of a PRV, and the new one is as much as $100. I got it from Summit for $65, much better.
Is this valve in the shift kit or equivalent? ?
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/4225-line-pressure-booster-kit

Or this??

www.sonnax.com/parts/3955-boost-valve-kit

Or this??

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2251-elevated-pressure-main-pressure-regulator-spring

These are the oring end plugs you mentioned.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3419-o-ringed-end-plug-kit

Anything else you see that isnt in that shift kit that you highly recommend? ?

yea. all the solenoids and controllers are in the pack. it makes it simple. and solenoid problems just replace the whole pack. just a little expensive. i know its not the newest version i would still try the one i gave you. and if it helps you will know its the problem. that one only had one issue front the trans i pulled out of. hard shift into reverse.
I would but i just dont wanna have to pull it back apart if that doesnt fix it..then i dont know if its the solenoids or something else..im going to get you to order me the new 9L2AZ pack

I like that first one linked to the best. It sounds like a more developed assembly. All three of those are for the main PR, the other two sound like earlier developed parts.

I like that first one linked to the best. It sounds like a more developed assembly. All three of those are for the main PR, the other two sound like earlier developed parts.
Oo i thought they were all different parts..so the first one is pretty much the whole kit

No, they are all for the same circuit, the pressure booster valve I think it's called. One is just the spring to raise the pressure, one is a new boost valve body and the two internal valves in it. The one I like has a booster valve that is described as better than the other one, and it comes with a spring also, which may be the same one as the individual part.

Do they make other parts for the 5R55W/S, say accumulators? Put new accumulators in your too if they aren't recent items, those are leak prone parts. They move constantly and have rubber seals that control leaking.

Sonnax used to only have one or two items for common applications, but they now seem to have a lot for anything popular, and often multiple choices for some circuits. I learned that recently when I was hunting for 4R70W parts. I found a newly designed Hydraulic Line Pressure Booster kit 4R70W-LB1.

They already had at least one kit for that line pressure circuit, but this one sounds much more refined, though more expensive too. I'm putting it in my stock 159k truck with new accumulators and o-rings, just for maintenance. Plus the new deep pan and Amsoil fluid.

Well got the passengers rear done..did bearings,bushings and ball joints..

The hub WOULD NOT repeat WOULD NOT come out of the bearing..we had it in a 20 ton press and heated it..we had to take a cut off wheel and cut the hub shaft and into the bearing making a relief cut..we then put it back in press and heated it..it FINALLY came 1/16" at a time with loudest popping ever to the very last 1/16" inch..my buddy luckily had a spare hub laying around we replaced it with..the bearing actually pressed out without a problem. .

It fixed the hum..going to do the other side probably after i fix the trans..its not making noise YET!!!

but finally i fixed something and it actually fixed the problem! !!

Well done, I gather those suspensions are hell to work on. So many pressed in parts, why I wonder did they do that?

Well done, I gather those suspensions are hell to work on. So many pressed in parts, why I wonder did they do that?
Getting it all apart and getting the bushings and hub out was the hardest part..it all pressed and went back together very easily. .3 hours to take apart, 4 hours pressing and 35 minutes to put it all back together

This job CAN NOT be done without a press..dont even try!! Hahaha

I can relate to that. Lots of jobs take so long just from having to clean the nasty old parts.

I'm doing my sister's 07 Jeep, ball joints, and the BJ press only comes with the basic adapters. I got the upper out with some spare washers etc, that I scrounged up. The bottom BJ was easy, but the spindles are tapered so the adapters don't sit square to assemble/press the new ones on. I'm tackling that today.

I'd like to have IFS on my trucks, but it is more complicated, you know.

I can relate to that. Lots of jobs take so long just from having to clean the nasty old parts.

I'm doing my sister's 07 Jeep, ball joints, and the BJ press only comes with the basic adapters. I got the upper out with some spare washers etc, that I scrounged up. The bottom BJ was easy, but the spindles are tapered so the adapters don't sit square to assemble/press the new ones on. I'm tackling that today.

I'd like to have IFS on my trucks, but it is more complicated, you know.
Yes i know for sure.good luck on your project as well

Well the slipping seems to be getting worae so i parked the truck till i can do the solenoids and valve body. .lets hope that fixes it and the clutchs bands or TQ converter isnt bad..

Still havent thrown any codes for it though but didnt want to risk it..gonna be probably 2-3 weeks before i can afford to mess with it

At this point, any reason you wouldn't just drop the tranny and rebuild it?

https://www.youtube.com/user/hiramgutierrez/search?query=5r55
It may end up that way but right now i basically haven't had any work at work for last 3 weeks and still got that baby boy,who turned 4 months last friday..plus still need to pay for my other motor thats sitting atthe machine shop..soooo money is TIGHT TIGHT to say the least..

Solenoids and valve body would have to be done either way so not like im wasting money..plus the trans was just fine 3 weeks ago or so..had a slight flare and clunk in Reverse but otherwise drove great..

Id like it to hold out for a couple more years or till i get around to the motor rebuild first..

Well,at least download that service manual i just posted before someone reports it for copyright :p I hear ya about the kid! My first son is 21 months, the second is due at the end of Jan, and I was out of work for 7 months this year; got laid off :(

Well,at least download that service manual i just posted before someone reports it for copyright :p I hear ya about the kid! My first son is 21 months, the second is due at the end of Jan, and I was out of work for 7 months this year; got laid off :(
I have been partially laid off and what suck is my benifits from the state based it off a time from (last year) when i got hurt on the job and was outa work for 6 months for back surgery. .so i get like less than $100 checks if that for unemployment ...not happy about that,been running my shop for 8 years now..

Im currently looking for a new job

Sorry to hear that, I hope you do find a better job soon.

So this is kind of going to be double post but..

GOT A NEW JOB! !

Its as a maintenance tech at a plant that processes spices. .yep random i know but guaranteed 40 a week with OT and benefits. .i did take a slight pay cut but in 6 months he promised me $2 more per hour and i will become the ""on call"" tech..the place is LITERALLY 6 minutes from my house and it always smells like COOKIES. ..hahah

They do everything in house from maintenance on equipment to building tables,stands,shoots..they do it all from raw material to finished product. .they are about to switch almost all the equipment over to Food grade safe stainless steel..so i need to seriously work on my SS welding skills. .

Im pretty excited. .this means my birthday and Christmas is gonna be a good one..

Im not holding back at all on either of these builds now!!! ITS ON..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done, keep the faith and stay hard at it. Congratulations.

Back