Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

03 lincoln aviator

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jd4242, July 19, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 4x4 Mounty
      So in the end an IRS carrier will fit a solid but a factory solid carrier won't go into an IRS without different side gears.

Or is that ford racing diff just made to fit both?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      A solid carrier will work with irs side gears..a irs carrier will accept both types of axles,this carrier is outa a 03-04 cobra

4. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Well pulled one of the 3 diffs i have apart tonight, i have one 3.55,one 3.73 and the one in truck thats a 3.55..i chose the 3.55 one thats not in the truck as the 3.73 is more desirable and i now have it sold..

The 3.55 had writting inside the cover in paint pin,said ""pacco" and some numbers..i dont know what that meant but it has newish Timken bearings in it so its been rebuilt. .

I forgot to get axle shaft bearings so overnighted them from advance, i have all new timken bearings/seals for it already. .

Degreased,pressure washed and bead blasted the case and cover(ive got a new blasting cabinet at work :) )..looked brand new but as the normal it got painted...and yes BLUE!! Haha tomorrow going to throw it together and try to set it up..

Im pretty excited to see what this truck does with 4.10s,it definitely struggles out the hole till you hit about 3500-4000..i hear nothing but complaints about the 4v not making power down low,im trying to make as much as possible to get this thing moving!!..

Some pics..
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    5. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Well after 5 hours i couldnt get a pattern i was satisfied with and then i dropped all the carrier shims on the ground pulling the carrier back out..Ive worked 8 hours of the hardest ive ever worked at my job today,then 5 hours of trying to setup a rearend..To say the least i lost my cool and had to go melt the tires of the work truck..

Ill try again tomorrow after some rest and on a clear mind..

6. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Well after another 4 hours and trying EVERYTHING,i went with the best pattern i could get..its more towards the toe or inside on the coast side than id like but it just wouldn't get any better,the drive side is pretty much dead center.both patterns are pretty wide and slightly spaced from the crown of the tooth..i ended up with a .030 shim on pinion, .250 driverside and .280 on passenger..i also went a little tight on the pinion and the carrier bearings as they are brand new..preload i ended up at .011, little more than the .008 the gears called for but still in specs for a IRS (.006-.012) and it gave me the best pattern. .

Tore the old one out and put the new one in this afternoon, took me about 2 hours and that was including about 30 mins for the rtv to ""dry""..

first impressions are good..its much quieter than my old one..no wines or growls.it also just rained and where i would easily get one tire to spin around turns or taking off,it spins both and grips now..i haven't got crazy with it,letting things settle and clutches break in..the gears were already broke in,then removed before i received them..

I need to get my tuner sent to SCT to get unlocked or start looking for another, i can get them for $150 or less..the one i bought for $100 ended up still being married. .

The speedo is about 10mph off at 60..with 3.55 i turned 2,000 rpms @70mph and now with the 4.10s i turn 2,250@70mph..it also is messing with my shift points..

All and all im very happy i went with 4.10s as i dont think its that much of a difference,but slightly noticeable and i wouldve been disappointed with 3.73..ill have to see after i can really get on it and get my tuner on it..

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Well done, good patience. I've never set up the gears before, only the backlash a few times. That's going to be a fun truck now all the time.

• Like Like x 1
    8. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      So 4.10s are the tits in this truck..this truck should've came with them stock..it definitely gets up and moves much better..it gets the rpms up into the power band much much faster and when the secondaries open it pins you again to the seat..down shifts are crazy,i swear it trys to break loose from a 3rd or 2nd to first gear down shift . having the LS is nice too and needed..

I emailed my tuner to get me a base tune going..he going to adjust speedo for 4.10s and 28.5 tires, delete the 2nd O2s,raise my red line to 6800, adjust shift firmness and timing..im not having him do anything else to the motor right now,its burning to much oil and timing is being pulled..

After that i think im done till the ranger motor is swapped..then ill start on the stroker.ive gota get the block from my buddy still also.

• Like Like x 1
    9. CorbinDallas

CorbinDallas Member

City, State:
      Calgary
      1996 5.0 EB/2005 Aviator
      why didn't you go with a helical carrier?

10. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      A what??

11. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      He's talking about a Torson or basically a limited slip without clutch packs. They are about 3x the cost of that ford racing limited slip so I'm sure that might be a reason.

I have one it my front diff and love it but they arnt cheap.

12. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      O yea, for that exact reason.plus this is daily driven and i honestly dont need anything stronger than the carbon fiber clutches, they grip pretty damn hard..

Also when i started this i thought i had a LS carrier and wasnt aware of needing different side gears so would've been a cheap swap

The ford racing carrier loaded with carbon fiber clutches was only $180,thats CHEAP..no matter what any case would need all new bearings..im right in at about $400 including gears,ls ford racing carrier, all new bearings and seals..thats the price of just a locking or clutchless carrier for the IRS not including gears,bearings or seals

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    13. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Picked up another sct xfs 3015 today for $140,he should have my tunes done tomorrow or friday he said..

Selling my other locked/married xfs for CHEAP if anyone is interested, will cost $150 to get unlocked..

14. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Haven't gotten my tune yet but found out my tuner's mom past away last friday.he sent me a message saying he would get on it when he gets back..

The 4.10s have been working flawlessly. .i needed some new tires as the ones on it were bald..Couldn't afford new ones right now so went online to ebays used tires stores..found a set of 4
      Goodyear Eagle RS-A, 245/55/18 with 9/32 tread left,new is 11/32..paid $180 shipped.they are 1" smaller than my old tires at 28.5", my old tires were 245/60/18@29.5"

So made a little video for your enjoyment

The new LS is definitely working good..
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    15. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      That thing sounds pretty good. Nice burnout.
      Time for supercharger!

• Like Like x 1
    16. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Very soon..ranger first.lol it honestly doesn't sound bad for still having the stock muffler on it,thats all it has tho

17. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Ditto, I like the way it sounds too, the LS and burnout are cool also.

Those tires won't last long, start hunting for some better ones, like a 255-275mm tire. What would a 275/55/18 do for the truck, which is 30" tall, a common height that should be close to accurate for the speedometer.

18. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I got these for their height, i want to be around 28" tall..that height will work best with my gears and the drop im putting on here soon..i do want something wider though

Speedo will be corrected with the tune

19. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I see, about 29" was my planned shortest tire. I was wanting to move to a 275/55 tire, in either 17" or 18" wheels, which makes a 29" or 30" tire. I found the forged used 17's, so I can get closer to trying the wider tires.

• Like Like x 1
    20. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Yea the tires i want are 295/45/18 but i cant afford them right now..the rear end hydroplaned with the whole family in the truck last week so i needed something quick and cheap..these fit the bill for now

21. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      That sounds very good, I want to see those big meats on there. Tire prices have jumped a ton in the last 5-10 years, now a "cheap" tire is at least $100. I've got 255/45's on my Lincoln, that is a nice profile tire.

22. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      O yea you cant even find a tire in 18" for under $100, really under $200 for a good tire is hard

23. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Keep an eye on the tire weight, often if you look there will be 5lbs or more between the lightest and heaviest choices. Going to the shorter tires also reduces that tire weight. I began with a 265/60/18, and that was a super heavy tire, over 40lbs. I could immediately feel the loss of acceleration with that 31.5" tire, my 18" wheels were also very heavy(cheap cast).

Try to juggle the best combination or brand/price/weight for the tires.

That shorter tire also moves the gear ratio a bit too, changing from the 30" range to 28" isn't much, but about 5% can be useful if the chosen gearing is higher or lower than you end up wanting.

My mail truck is a 4.10 V6 model, and when I swap to a V8 I'll keep the gears, but install the close ratio planetary. That will give me 1st/2nd gears of effectively near 3.60:1, with the 3rd/4th at the 4.10 level. That will work well for me, the 29" tires versus 30" stock puts me right at the stock 3.73 gears range, without the bigger gap from 2nd to 3rd gear of the stock wide ratio 4R trans. I like to mix and swap stock levels of parts to create the best combinations without huge costs. I'm pondering compression ratios for my 306 to be, premium fuel is much more expensive than regular here, about 50 cents more. I might keep the compression lower, say 9.5:1 if the cam maker agrees. I'll get his suggestion for the best compression for each fuel, and then pick pistons to get it there. I hope he wants to work with the regular gas, I'd rather build it that way.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    24. CorbinDallas

CorbinDallas Member

City, State:
      Calgary
      1996 5.0 EB/2005 Aviator
      Nexen Roadian HP Tires 255/50R20/XL 109V 460-A-A $130 ea at 1010tires.com Stock radius too so no need to change the speedo.

20160517_192302[1].jpeg

25. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      20s are to heavy for me,going to a smaller tire and more gear has helped DRASTICALLY for the low end power..these heavy trucks really need it too

26. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Well motor blew up today and locked up..dont know whats wrong with it yet but its DONE..need to get the ranger done and get the rest of parts for this stroker build..going to be awile..