and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

03 Ranger that sputters and hesitates at 3000 RPM on Hwy

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by Lalo3001, March 18, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    Tags:
    1. Lalo3001

Lalo3001 New Member

City, State:
      Torrance, California
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ranger-Edge
      Howdy!

I have an 03 Ford Ranger Edge with 100,526 miles on it.

Recently, I noticed that when I'm driving down the Freeway/Interstate, it starts to sputter and hesitate like it's going to stall if I go past 70 mph. There have been times when it's sputtered violently and shook the truck almost back and forth (not kidding) like it's going to completely freeze up.

I noticed that I can't get past 3,000 RPM. If I go at slower speeds or at street driving in the city, it doesn't do that, it runs fine. Only at speeds past 70 mph when the RPM approaches 3,000. I keep it at 60-65 miles and drive on the slow lane on Freeway/Interstate at steady at 2,500 RPM and no problems.

I'm wondering if it's a clogged fuel injector, clogged fuel filter, the Trani, what do you guys think?

Last edited: March 18, 2010
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. unclemeat

unclemeat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      Year and Model:
      91 sport
      How about plugs and wires?

4. jimi1952

jimi1952 New Member

City, State:
      harrisburg.pa
      Year and Model:
      2003 ranger edge
      Sounds similar to my problem except I can't get over 2,000rpm when symptons start. Plugs have 1,000 miles since changed, just changed filter after problem started. Took it in for diagnostics no codes, added Lucas Oil two days ago seems to have helped along with cooler temps. Taking it for further check-up Wed. if problem comes back.

5. stan393

stan393 New Member

City, State:
      stonewall
      Year and Model:
      my 2000 ranger was doing about the same thing...took a month or 2 to fix. the egr system has 3 parts...had to change all 3. egr valve ,dpfe sensor (on the front of throttle body) and the vacuum regulator solenoid(it's behind the coilpack)..they all work together. the code was 402 excessive exhaust gases. had 57,000 miles so i got my son to replace the plugs & plug wires today then i reset the computer. also replaced the coilpack recently. now i'm starting to replace all the hoses...hope this helps

6. jimi1952

jimi1952 New Member

City, State:
      harrisburg.pa
      Year and Model:
      2003 ranger edge
      ranger that sputters

Stan, my problem showed no codes and like I said it seems that it was a gas problem. thanks anyway Jimi