05' off-road/overland potential?

TM89

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4x4
Hey everyone,

New guy in the forum here, currently on my second explorer. Had a 99' XLT AWD, currently now purchased an 05' 4x4 XLT. I've found explorers to be quite underrated and a good balance of DD and mild to moderate off-road without too much modification, I loved my 99' so I went for a newer one. So far, so good.

She's got about 131k on her and drives great. Only issue I've encountered is the rear AC blender actuator (repaired myself) , and it does have that " bump stop" that many blame on the slip yoke. As long as it isn't causing damage it doesn't bother me too much, just kind of annoying. Anyway, I didn't buy it for hardcore off road or rock crawling, just for the avid outdoors enthusiast and for bad weather.

That being said, anything y'all would recommend or should fill me in on? Overall these got pretty good ratings and I got it for a steal, so I'm hoping I made the right choice. I look forward to talking with everyone, and I probably won't want any crazy mods, just to beef it up some, as it's still my DD. Cheers and thanks in advance!

Soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got it!

KIMG0050.JPG

KIMG0049.JPG

KIMG0053.JPG

Like yourself I have both a 2G and a 3G. I have tested the '97 time and again, and I agree they are quite good. Especially getting me home though every winter storm I put it in.
My '05 I have not tested it to such a degree, and am still curious as to it's capabilities. I even started a thread a couple years ago about comparing the two, but don't recall getting any replies.

My rig I put Rancho quick lifts on all four corners, and 31" all terrain tires, and used my flash tuner to correct for the larger tires. I will say it has respectable ground clearance.

Having AdvanceTrac, my differentials are open, and this was essentially the feedback I was seeking: how would the 4x4 capabilities of the AdvanceTrac compare to say 4x4 with TractionLoc rear axles.

So I don't have a lot more to offer.

Your truck looks great, I like it.

If you head over to the 4G modified forum you should read the maximum traction solution thread by The Electrician. Now that guy does overland, his rig I believe has Torsens front and rear!

Back