and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

05 Sport Trac brake problem

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by myata92, February 22, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. myata92

myata92 New Member

City, State:
      Fargo, ND
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mercury Mountaineer
      Hello, I have an 05 Sport Trac with a serious brake problem. My front passanger side caliper is locked up onto the rotor and won't release. The real problem is it just did that and I bought and replaced the caliper with a new one two weeks ago. When I changed it out last time I also replaced the brake pads and rotors on both sides on the front and just the new caliper on the passanger front side, which is where the problem is again. I also flushed and rebled the whole brake system with fresh brake fluid. During those two weeks it worked fine with no signs of problems but all the sudden it locked up again. The way it feels is if I had engaged the emergency brake on that wheel. Could I have just gotten a bad caliper or is there any other problem I should be looking at?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver,NC
      Year and Model:
      '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
      Unscrew the hose from the caliper and see if it releases. Sounds like the inside of the hose has come apart and blocking the return of the fluid. Not uncommon problem but it is for an '05. If that doesn't release the piston pressure it's a bad caliper, binding internally.

4. myata92

myata92 New Member

City, State:
      Fargo, ND
      Year and Model:
      1998 Mercury Mountaineer
      Well now I went out and messed with it some more. It unlocks when I go in reverse and stays that way until I put it in drive and as I am moving forward I hit the brakes and than it locks up again and won't release until I put it in reverse and drive backward again. I will check the brake line like you mentioned tonight as well.

5. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver,NC
      Year and Model:
      '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
      That's crazy........ If it was drum brakes I could understand that. Are you SURE you seated the caliper back into the mount correctly, and it's not loose on one end and binding?

6. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      I would ck over wheel bearings, caliper brackets etc.