for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

06 Ford Explorer Cylinder 6 misfire

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by jamica, June 4, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jamica

jamica New Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      97 explorer eb
      My 06 V8 Explorer has been driving kind of goofy for a couple of months. It started only occurring around 55 mph where it pulls funny and if I give it more gas its fine. Then it started happening a lot more and the check engine light would flash about 20 times then shut off. Sometimes there is a really load clunk noise that occurs as well. I finally brought it in last Tuesday and the mechanic said there is defiantly something not right but there were not any codes and that I needed to wait until the check engine light came on and stayed on. Of course 3 days later the light came on and stayed on and I immediately brought it back in. They said that the code read as a mis fire on cylinder 6 and they replaced the spark plugs and the ignition coil. My explorer is still driving weird. Its better, but still not right. Any ideas of what it might be? Should I bring it back to the shop I had it at or man up and bring it to the dealership.

Thanks!
      :salute:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mounted

mounted New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      Year and Model:
      2006 Mercury Mountaineer
      I had this problem on my Mounty, the dealer did a transmission software update and with new plugs its gone away completely.