07 Intermittent Dome and Puddle Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Intermittent Dome and Puddle Lights

09 EX 4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Explorer XLT
Purchased an 07 Sport Trac a few weeks ago with 85k miles. The previous owner only drove it 4k miles in 3 years and didn't reveal that sometimes the dome and puddle lights don't turn on when the door is opened or the key is removed. They work correctly about 25% of the time.

Also the dimmer switch does not change the dash light brightness and looks like its on full bright. The dimmer will turn on the dome and puddle at the full right position but does not turn off the dash lights at full left. I have looked it over and do not see any evidence of rodent infestation under the hood or dash where I could see.

After reading posts I removed the negative battery terminal shorted to positive, changed the ignition switch and dimmer switch. I think the original dimmer switch was changing the brightness. The new dimmer did not and when I put the old one back it no longer changes brightness.

Ordered a repair manual DVD that should be here in a few days so I can trace it out.

Seems like it may be a bad relay. Hope its only one problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, I just noticed the same problem on my 07.

I had similar problem on my 06 and it turned out that the alarm guy installing my remote starter tapped into one of the wires under the door sill on the driver side. It corroded over time and one of the wires was bad. Need to check that on the 07 now since I see it has an aftermarket remote starter as well.

It's amazing how many of these types of issues eventually come back to an aftermarket alarm or remote start install done by a 'qualified' installer.

Looked everywhere for any aftermarket stuff alarm or remote start and don't see anything wires or parts under the dash or hood that don't look factory. Removed the covers and wiggled and reconnected the starter switch and the dome light did't come on when key removed. Took out the new dimmer switch and put in the old one. Switched it all the way left to right a few times and removed the key and the dome light and puddle came on. The dimmer also worked on the dash lights.

May be the dimmer switch is bad and the new one is not the right one for the car

After moving the dimmer switch full left and right a few times yesterday the dome light worked correctly 5 times in a row today. I think the new one is not for this car and the old one just needed to be moved a bit

Yes, there are number of them for the explorers based on the options (auto lights, fog lights, etc...), so not every switch will work on yours. Basically, it's vin specific. I got mine from ebay based on the visual comparison.

The dome light worked correctly 10+ times in a row. Then it didn't work and I moved the switch full left and right a few times and it started working again. The dimmer switch is intermittent but its working most of the time and I can fix it easily. Hope this thread helps somebody

It's your ignition switch that sits behind your ignition tumbler in the steering colum. I replaced mine a couple of years ago when my interior lights would randomly turn on while going down the road, haven't had a problem since.

Back