and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

08 4.6l exhaust manifold leak, snapped bolts

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by pjw73nh, January 31, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pjw73nh

pjw73nh Active Member

Year and Model:
      08 LTD
      Greetings,

See my earlier post here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331412

I use my 08 'splorer Ltd with 4.6l primarily for towing a 6000 lb (true weight) trailer. I tow about 2500 miles per summer, and drive it about 2000 miles the rest of the year. a low-use vehicle.

The upper exhaust manifold bolt from the #1 cylinder is missing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fy8uHynVoGmuMNVM2DGlDJKVgip1PxB-Ub0Z9NWx1CQ?feat=directlink

My guess is that it was there when I bought the vehicle In April of last year with 63k miles on it and it snapped off sometime since. Now I have 67k on it. And of course I hear the tick tick tick at cold start up. It goes away after 45-90 seconds depending on ambient temp.

Looked at the job. Though fairly mechanically inclined, I don't want to do it. Very close quarters, I have no lift to speak of, snapping more bolts off, drilling, welding, chance of water jacket perforation. All of this adds up to me not wanting to do the job. That said, I don't want to pay a buttload (dealer) to have it done either.

The only way I would consider repairing this is if I KNEW for certain what the underlying cause was and that it was fixed before going through the trouble of removing and reinstalling the manifold. No one seems to know what the root cause is. Defective manifold? Bolts? Head? poor assembly skills? etc.

My main question is: What is the risk if I do nothing? Will it get worse? How much worse? Will it cause any FURTHER damage? What are the consequences of doing nothing?

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. EX-SV

EX-SV Active Member

City, State:
      northern California
      Year and Model:
      owned a 07 EBV8 4x4
      What is typical cost of having this fixed at dealer?

4. pjw73nh

pjw73nh Active Member

Year and Model:
      08 LTD
      I guess that's part of my question. I can't seem to get a straight answer. Until we know if it's a bad manifold, bad assembly process, defective bolts it's hard to tell. I had one place tell me that R&R manifold and drill out *one* bolt was about 8+ hours labor.

5. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rockland County, NY
      Year and Model:
      2006EB,V8, Fisher plow
      I have had it for about 10-15 k miles. Drives me nuts sometimes but goes away like you said after 30-45 seconds.

Mine is 06 V8, 129k miles.

6. feetwet

feetwet Active Member

City, State:
      Maple Grove, MN
      Year and Model:
      2006 XLT V8
      keep me in the loop if anyone gets an estimate... mine is leaking at startup too.

The potential risks I see this exposes are :
      1> hot exhast gas in the engine compartment blowing on things not intended for the heat
      2> potential for Carbon Monoxide to be ingested into cabin vents

7. bojans

bojans Active Member

City, State:
      McHenry, Il
      Year and Model:
      2006 Explorer Limited
      I decided to let the ticking occur when the shop gave me the times to pull the head on that motor. Book time is only 1 hour more to pull the whole engine...

8. EX-SV

EX-SV Active Member

City, State:
      northern California
      Year and Model:
      owned a 07 EBV8 4x4
      ^ Is pulling head part of process to fix?

9. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rockland County, NY
      Year and Model:
      2006EB,V8, Fisher plow
      I am waiting (really hoping it will be a long while) that when I need to do the exhaust manifolds, I'll do also the timing chain with guides and probably pull the engine then, or pull the heads off. I am not sure you can drill and tap the holes in the head thru the wheel well, but I may be wrong.

10. va2explorer

va2explorer Member

City, State:
      Hillsville,VA
      Year and Model:
      03EX4.0,06EX4.6
      My 06 4.6 has the same exhaust leak problem w/2bolts broken on the right side and 1bolt broke on the left. It was already like that when I bought it with 52k miles on it, and I am now @ 103k. The leak has never gotten any worse and it still goes away after 45 seconds or so. There has been no mechanical related problems because of the leak, and a CO test indicated CO levels were normal in the passenger compartment.

11. bojans

bojans Active Member

City, State:
      McHenry, Il
      Year and Model:
      2006 Explorer Limited
      If they can't drill out a broken bolt due to engine compartment interference, yes.

When I trade it in I will just make sure it is good and warm....

12. pjw73nh

pjw73nh Active Member

Year and Model:
      08 LTD
      Va2, This is good to know. As long as I am sure it won't get worse (I have already tested in-cab CO levels... (0 ppm)), I am going to let a "sleeping dog lie".

And like Bojans said, when I trade, give it back them nice and warm. Not that they care. the repair cost to them is negligible.

13. grandmasterlarry

grandmasterlarry New Member

City, State:
      Washington MI
      Year and Model:
      2008 Explorer Sport Trac
      does the manifold use bolts or studs off the head? giving i have heard this happening a lot it might be a good idea to look into getting some ARP bolts and replacing them before they brake.

14. saefjordan

saefjordan New Member

City, State:
      Royal Oak
      Year and Model:
      '07 Sport Trac Limited
      Hey all, I just got my 2007 Explorer back from Royal Oak Ford for having #1 cylinder bolt cracked off and leaking. They ended up breaking two more bolts off in the head and werent able to get one out when trying to replace the manifold. But, I guess they acutally got 10 threads deep into it and JB Welded it for a fix. 4 days in the shop. Anyways, I got whammyed with $642 in labor charges. It wouldve been 1100 if I hadnt bought the new manifold from fordparts.com for the 2009 explorer which is the same as the 07 and 08. You can get the manifold for only $130 on there. Im sure it will go up once they realize it though. This was not fun....

15. EX-SV

EX-SV Active Member

City, State:
      northern California
      Year and Model:
      owned a 07 EBV8 4x4
      ^ saefjordan - Thanks for useful report. Sounds like a $1000 in round numbers would be typical repair cost, wonderful.

16. resq302

resq302 Member

City, State:
      Boonton, NJ (Morris County, NJ - 45 mins West of New York City)
      Year and Model:
      2008 explorer eddie bauer
      Our 05 Explorer limited had the same issue with a couple studs breaking off on the pass side. We just ended up trading it in on a 08 Eddie Bauer V-6 that had 15,000 miles. The 05 had 117,000 when we got rid of it.

17. scubat

scubat New Member

City, State:
      west palm beach, fl
      Year and Model:
      2006 Eddie Bauer V8
      Getting ready to bring in my 06 Eddie Bauer V8 with 75k on it that I have owned since new to have the Ticking noise looked at again as I am 99% sure it is a leaking manifold. I brought it to the local dealer 6 months ago and they said the Ticking noise is normal and that nothing could be done to fix it! I am sure they just didn't want to deal with it as it is not an easy job.

I am still under Fords Premier Extended Warranty and want it taken care of before the warranty runs out. I am taking it to a different Ford dealer this time and hopefully they will take care of it. Any advice as to how to argue my case with the dealer to get this fixed? I got Ford Corporate involved last time and they scolded me for calling them and also told me it is a normal Ticking noise.

If the truck is in park and simply idling, yes the tick goes away after a minute or so but as soon as you put it in drive and pull away with the windows down you can still hear the Ticking for another couple minutes echoing off buildings and houses. The Ticking does eventually go away but probably because the metal or gasket expands and closes the leak. This is not normal though! Will keep you all posted as to how this other dealer handles it.

18. EX-SV

EX-SV Active Member

City, State:
      northern California
      Year and Model:
      owned a 07 EBV8 4x4
      I'm pretty sure if I took my out of warranty Explorer went into Ford service department with a ticking noise, they would quote a nice big number to fix it.

scubat - Looking forward to seeing how other dealer handles it.

19. vipersinu2

vipersinu2 Active Member

City, State:
      The Big City of Orange City, Florida
      Year and Model:
      97-03 4.0 exp 07 mount v8
      my manifold is getting worse, has anybody had suscess with out breaking off studs? any tips? I really want to change manifold and gasket. any advice would be great.

20. resq302

resq302 Member

City, State:
      Boonton, NJ (Morris County, NJ - 45 mins West of New York City)
      Year and Model:
      2008 explorer eddie bauer
      hate to say it but if you are getting a leaking manifold already, chances are you already have at least one broken stud.

21. scubat

scubat New Member

City, State:
      west palm beach, fl
      Year and Model:
      2006 Eddie Bauer V8
      No doubt about that! Will keep you posted on my outcome.

22. exploderlimited

exploderlimited New Member

City, State:
      buffalo ny
      Year and Model:
      2005 explorer 4.0 4x4
      Well i just bought a 2006 explorer limited with 74k for a decent price, but the drivers side manifold has a broken stud and also the passenger side does too. Thought i could do the job thru the wheel well but it looks like im going to be pulling the whole engine. Il take pics and post what ive done.

23. scubat

scubat New Member

City, State:
      west palm beach, fl
      Year and Model:
      2006 Eddie Bauer V8
      Update! Took the Explorer to another Ford dealer today for the ticking noise as well some front wheel bearing noise. They confirmed both issues and are replacing the exhaust manifold'(s) and front left wheel bearing under my Premier warranty. It is nice when a dealer actaully wants to do warranty work, even when they are not the easiest jobs. Will update you on how it runs when I pick up the truck in a few days. Premier warranty even covered my rental car 100%. I would like to know what it would cost retail to have this work done.

24. scubat

scubat New Member

City, State:
      west palm beach, fl
      Year and Model:
      2006 Eddie Bauer V8
      Final Update!!! Picked up the truck today and wow, what a difference! No more ticking and no more wheel bearing noise. I have a new truck again! It ended up being a cracked passenger side exhaust manifold and a bad drivers side wheel bearing. Kudos to Pompano Ford-Lincoln for taking care of the repairs under warranty and making the experience pleasurable!

25. EX-SV

EX-SV Active Member

City, State:
      northern California
      Year and Model:
      owned a 07 EBV8 4x4
      scubat - Glad it worked out.

Wow, the Premier warranty sounds good, I assume that is a Ford warranty?

That sounds like a lot of expensive work, over a couple thousand.

26. scubat

scubat New Member

City, State:
      west palm beach, fl
      Year and Model:
      2006 Eddie Bauer V8
      I am 100% satisfied with the Premier Warranty. Yes it is through Ford. I actually bought it on line from a dealer in New Hampshire! Very easy and not that expensive for what it covers. I think it was ~$1500 when I purchased it. This recent repair would have probably been at least $1000 or more retail. It has covered other items as well so I would guess it has paid for itself and I still have over a year or 20k miles left on it.