Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

08 Ltd 4.6 needs starter. How to remove top bolt.

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by pjw73nh, September 13, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pjw73nh

pjw73nh Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      08 LTD
      08 Ltd 4.6L needs starter. Connections are easy, Bottom bolt: Easy. Side bolt: Difficult but looks do-able. Top bolt: Holy $h1+....

I took the passenger wheel off, removed most of the inner fender, I can see the top bolt, I can get a 13mm socket (short or deep) on it with difficulty, but have no swing room. I tried various combinations of extensions, deep/shallow sockets and wobble extensions. I can't get any swing or leverage. I am limited in length as the top part of the control arm mount is only about 4-5 " away.

[​IMG]

I going to look for a 13 mm ball swivel socket and try that. Otherwise, I am afraid I have to bring (tow) it to my favorite wrench.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bill MacLeod

Bill MacLeod Active Member

City, State:
      Hamilton, Ontario
      06 Ltd V-8
      Would lifting/tilting the motor allow for better access? There are 2 nuts for the motor mount behind the strut tower. Need something like18 mm socket or wrench.

4. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
      Bowling Green, KY
      2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
      I just went through this on the manifold replacement but I don't remember exactly how I got it off. I do remember that I put it back on with a quarter inch ratchet - not as much torque needed. I may have used my 3/8 flex head ratchet with a 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor. Try using a short socket with an extension to get the head of the ratchet closer to the end of the starter - I recall that the bolt head is very close to the starter body.

5. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rockland County, NY
      06EB V8 & 07EB V6
      It's tricky but not that hard.
      Disconnect the battery !!!!
      I remember them 2 being 13 mm and one 10 or 8mm.

6. pjw73nh

pjw73nh Active Member

08 LTD
      Got it done this AM. Used a 24" 3/8 extension, with a 3/8 universal and 13 mm 6 point on the end. I also used a very small, powerful LED flashlight so I could see exactly what I was doing. Before reassembly, I cleaned the threads of the 3 bolts on a wire wheel, and put a couple drops of oil on them. I was able to start them all by hand, and tighten up with myriad wrenches, sockets, extensions, universals. I'd love to post a pic or two, but I can't figure out how.

Last edited: September 15, 2017
    7. pjw73nh

pjw73nh Active Member

08 LTD
      Yes, I always disconnect the Battery. and Yes, all 3 were 13mm. The solenoid had one 13mm and one (very rusted 10mm). It broke off.

The replacement (on the solenoid) has a 12mm and an 11mm. REALLY? How difficult could it be to keep the same size? The threads are the same.....