13 Explorer Moonroof closes and then vents automatically. Wont stay shut | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

13 Explorer Moonroof closes and then vents automatically. Wont stay shut

Kasey Maxwell

Reaction score
City, State
Cleburne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
It rained hard last night and when I left this morning there was water puddled in the passenger side floor. I discovered that the moonroof was open. However, when I tried to close it, nothing happened at first. The oily button I could get to work wad the shade. I figured it might be a fuse so got out the owners manuel. Then, I tried the buttons again and they worked this time. The roof tilted open and closed, but when it closed, it popped back up slightly. I then slid the roof back and closed it. Again, everything worked, but after closing, it immediately popped back open slightly. I can use the slide button to nudge it closed, but if I shut the shade it pops up again. Im hoping it has some sort of vent setting that can be reset. Help please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about a fix, but a temporary solution until you get it fixed is to close the sunroof but before it pops back up in the vent position, just shut off the ignition and open the door to stop it beforehand.

Tony

It rained hard last night and when I left this morning there was water puddled in the passenger side floor. I discovered that the moonroof was open. However, when I tried to close it, nothing happened at first. The oily button I could get to work wad the shade. I figured it might be a fuse so got out the owners manuel. Then, I tried the buttons again and they worked this time. The roof tilted open and closed, but when it closed, it popped back up slightly. I then slid the roof back and closed it. Again, everything worked, but after closing, it immediately popped back open slightly. I can use the slide button to nudge it closed, but if I shut the shade it pops up again. Im hoping it has some sort of vent setting that can be reset. Help please?

I would guess that the switches are going to need to be replaced.

When you close the shade, is it venting with the shade closed?

In the meantime, as soon as it closes, hit one of the buttons again; that should stop further movement.

I would guess that the switches are going to need to be replaced.

When you close the shade, is it venting with the shade closed?

In the meantime, as soon as it closes, hit one of the buttons again; that should stop further movement.

Switches work only sometimes now.

When closing the shade it causes the moonroof to vent.

Welcome to the Forum Kasey.:wave:
When the tilt closes does it fully tilt open all the way? The reason I ask is because when operating normally the tilt will close and then ever so slightly tilt up to seal it. Also, curious as to why you only had water pool on the passenger side and not the driver's side. Under normal circumstances that is usually an indication of a blocked moonroof drain tube.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Kasey.:wave:
When the tilt closes does it fully tilt open all the way? The reason I ask is because when operating normally the tilt will close and then ever so slightly tilt up to seal it. Also, curious as to why you only had water pool on the passenger side and not the driver's side. Under normal circumstances that is usually an indication of a blocked moonroof drain tube.

Peter
Thanks Peter.
It fully tilts open, then fully tilts closed, then pops open about 1/2 way. It pops open about 1/8 of am inch above where it should be to close.

As dar as to pooling on the passenger side only, I assumed it was because of the direction the rain was coming in. The headliner took in alot of water and appeared to drain down the passenger door post (window side) into the floor board.

Thanks Peter.
It fully tilts open, then fully tilts closed, then pops open about 1/2 way. It pops open about 1/8 of am inch above where it should be to close.

As dar as to pooling on the passenger side only, I assumed it was because of the direction the rain was coming in. The headliner took in alot of water and appeared to drain down the passenger door post (window side) into the floor board.

I just spent $650 at the dealer getting the drain tubes cleaned and the jute under the carpet replaced, because it tends to mildew after getting wet. If you Google cleaning the drain tubes, you can do it yourself fairly easily. I'd suggest you do it, just in case. This is the 2nd vehicle I've had this issue with, and they both happened around the same point in the life of the vehicle.

Back