• Register Today It's free!

1984 Bronco II with problems.

zw

Reaction score
City, State
montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 bronco2
hi I just bought a 84 bronco 2. new moter and tires decent shape. I am just a cowboy that uses this rig to drive back and forth to the ranch I am mechanicly inclined but dont have a clue on this one. It runs like a top until it gets up to good hot running temp. Then it runs ruff and sometimes dies. Ive tried a new coil and have looked the obviuse stuff over the main thing that cocerns me is that the previuose owner took alot of the smoge stuff off and I dont know were to start with the loose ends. I think it is electical but not shure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure sounds like the TFI going bad - as in Thick Film Ignition. The TFI is the ignition control module, which is inside the distributor. It works OK until the heat from the engine pushes it over the brink and no more spark. Next time it dies completely, see if it has any spark from the coil.

Ford had a class action lawsuit on this. I had an 84 Tempo (same engines as the B-II if I recall) - Ford sent me a recall and apology letter covering towing costs. Get your VIN number and call Ford. If they won't still cover it in a recall, at least they can give you 30 seconds of advice to confirm the problem.

thanks a lot. For the advice.

another ?

Im getting 16.5 mpg with an 84 bronco. Not bad I dont think For a 84 anything. But I wonder if the milage would go up if I cut off the cat and maybe changed the muffler. Does anyone have any insight on this

Idk if you fixed your problem or not but this sounds like what was happening to mine exactly.

I would replace the filter on the line up by the driver door first, and also their is a small filter that looks like a round K&N air filter inside fuel regulator. Mine was really plugged and caused all kinds of problems.

The regulator is located on the passenger side on the inner frame. It is a round plastic looking thing. Take a pipe wrench, or big pair of channel locks and unscrew it. The filter will come out with it. If you cannot easilly blow throw the hole on the top get a new one, dont even bother cleaning it.
$5 at auto zone. If not that then you may have some really plugged injectors.

Just a thought, and a few cheap easy fixes that did wonders on mine.

Back