1984 Bronco II won't run...very long. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1984 Bronco II won't run...very long.

wlhenry21

Reaction score
City, State
Westmoreland, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1984 Ford Bronco II
Here is the low down. It worked fine when we bought it. Kids used it for school car. Then it started over heating. Replaced water pump (twice), then overheating again. Too the mechanic it went, cracked head. Top half of motor gone through. Now it has not run more than 15 minutes at a time since the repairs. It starts, runs about 15 minutes, then dies and cannot be restarted until usually hours later, if not the next day. This has been going on for about ond year and one half. I have replaced (in order); The coil, the ECM on the distributor, the ignition switch, the ECM relay switch, and the ECM brainbox. Nothing has helped, nothing has made it better, nothing made it worse. Help! It is a 1984 (made 2/83) Bronco II, 2.8L carburetored motor, auto trans, 4X4. It is an XLT

Need help! Anyone out there? Please take a look at this thread. Surely I am not the only person on the planet this is/has happened to.

I had a 88 with the same issue. There was a module on the back of the motor that had to be replaced. It would overheat with a warm motor and would cut my spark until it cooled down.

Not sure if it's the same thing as yours.

Back