1988 Aerostar XLT - 5 speed manual conversion. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1988 Aerostar XLT - 5 speed manual conversion.

Teddy Randazzo Jr

Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Aerostar XLT
Greetings !

For all you odd Aerostar owners I am probably the oddest- but I'll tell you I have converted a bit on mine to make it all worthwhile including converting it to an 5 speed manual .
I have an face book page Aerostar 1986 -1997 if you are interested .
So mine gets about 20 mpg ... (Splitfire plugs help part no. SF10-D) and an good air cleaner like K&M .
Once you have addressed their electrical issue ( paired connector near firewall) with a tube of RTV the rest is the transmission - which I recommend a 5 speed manual instead .
I think Aerostar's handle better than most minivans and were originally made for the "guy" but ended up as soccer mom cars ha ha .
But I have many other ideas like adding an remote door lock on the overhead celing near sliding door next to an dome light kill switch .
My girlfriend loves her 1991 Aerostar ( believe it or not ) and we are converting things on it as well except she likes the automatic trans no biggie .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Aerostar section. This is the first time that I've read about a couple having their own Aerostar vans. Couples usually have different preferences when it comes to vehicles that they drive. Sometimes I've seen husbands & wives lease the same vehicles because they get a special deal, but it doesn't always mean that they would actually buy them. Post some pictures of both vans when you have time. Did you take pictures of the manual swap?

i tried searching facebook for his page....

I enjoy rowing through the gears in my aerostar.

i like it unless its stop and go traffic.

Back