1991 Explorer 4x4 Pulling to the Right When Braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer 4x4 Pulling to the Right When Braking

96AWD5.LOL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 4x4 - "Red Velvet"
Hello All,

Despite my username from years ago I now own a 91 ford explorer 4x4. I have done quite a bit to it to bring it back to life as the previous owner didn't do to much quality work to it in the 6 months he had it. Below is the list of items completed within the past month to bring the truck back to life (read---> safety):

1. Transmission fluid change – Done

2. Oil change – Done

3. Brake fluid bleed/flush – Done

4. Alignment – RMS – Done – Recheck --> Suspension/Tires? sag causing wheel to drift right?

4-a. Check tire pressure first -6/19 --->changed all to 30 PSI

4-b. Rotate tires.

5. Tie-rod Ends - L and R - Done

6. Check brakes on front for even wear Done

7. Check front end components Done

8. Replace shocks Front and Rear - Done

9. Replace plugs and wires Done

10. Clean up underneath power steering fluid and oil from bell housing – Done

11. Check E-Brake and Rear Brakes – ME – E-brake working well. Rear brakes may be in good condition. Check adjuster?

12. Clean IAC - Done

13. Fix Upper Radiator Hose - Done

14. Rotors X2 – Done

15. Pads X2 - Done

16. Bearings (timken) x4 – Done

17. Bearing Seals (timken)- Done

18. Guide Pins – Done

19. New Calipers x2 – Done

20. Replace high pressure power steering line – Done

21. Flush Brake lines (Front) (second time) – Done

22. New radius arm bushings (moog with heat shield) x2 – Done

23. New trans cooler (added two Hayden's) x2 – Done

24. New fan – Done

25. New heavy duty Fan Clutch (Hayden) – Done

26. Take off throttle body and clean (sticking) - To do...

New steering gearbox.

New front rubber brake lines.

My front two tires aren't in the best condition but at 30 PSI each the truck drives straight now. When braking there is a gradual pull to the right - Non-violent. When bought, the alignment was off and both calipers were bad. Before realizing both calipers were bad I replaced the front rotors and pads along with wheel bearings. I used high temp brake grease on the guides and touching surfaces, cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner and reassembled. After a few miles I realized the right caliper was sticking under heavy braking (only stuck once on a 5 mile drive) and the left wouldn't engage until hard pressure was applied. They were replaced immediately. Rear brakes haven't been touched yet but as shown above the e-brake works well. the right hand pull has existed since I purchased the truck initially but was way more violent before new bearings, calipers, pads, rotors, and RA bushings.

Its been suggested to me to look into Axle Pivot bushings. Although old, they don't move much with a pry-bar. I am going to swap the tires from left to right up front to see if it changes the direction of pull tonight. So while i'm out with my tools does anyone have any other suggestions?

They don't move much from left to right or in and out? If the bushings are bad, as the brake is applied, the passenger side pivot bushing can be pulled against the pivot mount hole. Any slop would would allow the arm to move to the left or right. A prybar may not be enough to replicate the force of stopping a 4000lb vehicle going 30mph on a pivot bushing.

I'm going to throw Check the radius arm bushings into the mix as they are the only thing locating the front axle fore and aft. If they LOOK good borrow a go-pro with a magnetic mount or even a cell phone and a selfie stick and see if they deflect under braking.

RA bushings were replaced with Moog parts + Heat shield.

As it turns out it looks like its the drums after all. Passenger side was untouchable after a drive and the drivers side was touchable. Ordered new hardware, drums, shoes, and pistons. Hopefully this will remedy the pull.

Back