1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1991 explorer fuse panel diagram

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by jamenblack, May 1, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jamenblack

jamenblack New Member

City, State:
      Islad Park, NY
      Year and Model:
      '91 xlt
      how can I find a diagram to the fuse panel of my '91 xlt if I don't have the owner's manual? It's not in the Hayne's repair manual either. If anyone could help me with this I sure would appreciate it

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Old Hippie

Old Hippie New Member

City, State:
      Spartanburg, SC
      Year and Model:
      93 XLT 4x4
    4. fixxxer

fixxxer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Aurora, Co.
      Year and Model:
      93 XLT 4X4
    5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. kaneda_77

kaneda_77 New Member

City, State:
      Honolulu, HI
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT
    7. jwfelts

jwfelts New Member

City, State:
      R.Rapids NC
      Year and Model:
      I have a 1991 Ford Explorer that has not been driven in two years and would not start. I read the codes, replaced the fuel pump, and started the engine with no problem. It seemed to be running fine until I put it in gear and drove it down the road. It begain to spit and sputter and had no power at all. I can push the gas petal to the floor and it will only go slow. I returned home and put the transmission in park and it seems to idle fine. Do not have a clue what could cause this problem. Please Help!

8. FatherMcD

FatherMcD New Member

Year and Model:
      1988 F250
      Ground issue?

If you haven't already fixed this, check the fuel pump ground. I have a '94 ranger that had similar symptoms. If you have a fuel pressure tester, check that the pressure stays in the 20+ psi range when you open the throttle. Does your fuel gauge read empty when you still have 4-5 gals in the tank? I found over 80 ohms between the ground wire from the fuel pump that connects to the grounding bolt on the top of the drivers side fender under the hood and the battery ground. (Your ground connection may be in a different place and ALWAYS test to the negative post on the battery, not the wire connected to it.) I replaced the connector on the end of the wire and resistance dropped to less than 1/10 ohm. Fuel gauge problem fixed, but still had the low pressure problem. The connector to the fuel pump on top of the tank looked charred so I pulled the pump and found obvious overheating in the wiring. High resistance at the same voltage requires higher amps to provide the power, hence the wiring was burning out between the connector and the pump, and the pump itself was nearly fried. Replaced the pump/sender and was able to remove the wires from the old connector on top of the tank and clip them into the new one. (the connector was charred, but the wires themselves were OK) You've already replaced the pump, but a weak ground will cause it to have low output and eventually burn out. I suspect that is what happened to your original pump. I had been having driveability issues with this truck for months, but couldn't pin them down. This fixed them. Hope this helps!