1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring

Discussion in 'Explorer/Ranger Solid Axle Swap Registry' started by Chief34, January 7, 2003.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Chief34

Chief34 Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      '91 XLT, '08 F450superdty
      91 Explorer Solid Axle Swap

Hello everyone. This is a White 91 Explorer. Solid axle came out of an 89 jeep wrangler. Front leafs are new but from a jeep. The rear lift was made by using high arched "soft ride" leafs, and flipping over the axle. There are not any blocks! The front has 12 inch Fox shocks and resevoirs (though resevoirs are not in pictures, i am getting them installed this week. Iwill get new pictures as soon as that is done.)
      The Truck Has 37" Super Swampers SSR's on it right now but i will be putting 38" Tires on it when these wear out.
      I still have to measure it next to another but i believe the total suspension lift is about 15 inches plus the tire difference.
      The frame is 29" off the ground. Truck runs great and Rides excellent. If you have any questions just ask.
      Hopefully I'll see some of you on the trails.
      I am in San Diego.
      Oh yeah to see the photos just click on my photo gallery under my name. Late!

Last edited: April 13, 2003
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Looks real nice! Is that a Dana 30 front axle? What part of SD are you in?

4. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      Thanks for the compliment.
      Yes that is a dana 30 from a wrangler.
      I am in clairemont near the 805 and 52 freeway. Not very far from you at all. I was just working in oceanside today. I went right through carlsbad.
      Nice ranger! Do you know anyone who wants to buy the front end? I have the whole four wheel drive front end that came out of my truck. Hub to hub and radius arms. 91-94 ranger and explorer, it should be the same.

5. RangerX

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      I don't know anybody offhand that needs it, but you got it in the For Sale forum, so that's good. You might want to post it on the Offroadrangers board, too. There's a LOT of SoCal people there.
      Have you seen the thread on the Truckhaven run next weekend? You really ought to go. You're so close!

6. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      I havent seen that thread. I'll have to check it out. I will go for sure. That would be real fun. Are you going? About How far is it?
      Oh yeah one more thing, do you know how do i put a pic under my name?

7. RangerX

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Hell yeah I'm going! There will be about 30 Explorers and Rangers. It's about 100 miles east for me. But people are coming from Texas and Washington, so I can't complain.

You need to become an Elite Explorer to have an picture (avatar). That or be a moderator.:D

8. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      I am going to go i think. This will be real fun.
      I am elite. How do i get the pic??

9. RangerX

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Oops, I didn't think to look.:eek: Just email the pic that you want to use to Rick. I would also send him a PM letting him know to watch for it, cuz he gets tons of email a day, and sometimes some 'get lost in the pile.'

Look at the thread called "Important: Truckhaven 2003" in the Exploring Trails forum. All the hard facts are there. Discussion is in the multi-page "Truckhaven 2003" thread.

10. hornz2000

hornz2000 Active Member

City, State:
      Athens, GA
      Year and Model:
      1998 Sport
      How long will that Dana 30 last with 37s or 38s.

11. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      It has been fine so far, but i guess i will find out. I am still planning on doing a lot of work to it. It is my everyday driver so I am carefull with it and right now it is not full blown made for abuse because i dont want to thrash it. If that is what i wanted to do i would get a jeep that is cheap, and i could thrash rock crawling.

12. Hotweels

Hotweels Active Member

City, State:
      Calgary,AB
      Year and Model:
      '92 EB
      Could you please take a good pic of the front axel leaf mounting points i am very curious as to how its mounted.

13. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      I will work on that for you. Dont let me forget though. If you dont get a pic soon make sure and remind me.
      Are you reffering to the mounts where the leaf mounts to the frame? I will try to get a pic soon for you. They are really strong gussett (spelling?:) ) type mounts.
      The leafs go all the way to the frame mounts. There arent any ugly brackets, and there aren' any blocks in the rear.

14. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      Well here is another pic but it still doesent show the mounts. Ill work on that pic for you. I have the resevoirs that go on the shocks in my garage, and i am having them installed very soon. Ill post a new pic when they are installed.

Attached Files:

15. Hotweels

Hotweels Active Member

City, State:
      Calgary,AB
      Year and Model:
      '92 EB
      Very cool, i was going to do a leaf sprung setup but i just got back from buying a 77 F150 D44,
      Strange i looked hi and low for the last year to find one of these diffs and not more than a few days after buying the FSJ diff i found 2 ford D44's just lying around.
      Make sure to take a good pic of how the leafs are attached to the frame as i am sure some one will find the information VERY usefull.
      COOL TRUCK MAN!!!

16. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      Be sure to check out the Detailed write up under the explorer "registry forum" under "91 solid axle swap" thread.

17. BonesDT

BonesDT Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Westchester, NY
      Year and Model:
      Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
      just curious. why do you brag about 'no blocks'. i can see how no body lift and no trimming shows that all that lift will produce great articulation. but even though blocks are uglier and cheaper than larger leaf springs, dont they serve a more practical purpose. heavily arched springs will limit articulation sometimes and the use of blocks with smaller springs could help.

i was just curious cuz i was reading about monter truck suspensions and huge blocks seemed preferred over overly arched springs for these reasons. there seems like there might be a happy medium between a slightly larger spring and some conservative blocks. am i right?

18. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Unless you're running a link type suspension with your leaf springs, blocks will cause axle wrap. Also blocks should NEVER be used in the front of any truck.

19. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      That sums it up pretty well. The other reason is I personally dont like blocks. Just an oppinion. As far as flex goes, we actually had to stiffen my springs beacuse they were too soft. Now everything is just about perfect. I have a perfectly smooth ride and great flex. I cant wait till next month so I can get some flex pics in AZ.

20. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      Pictures

For everyone who wanted to see more pics go to "explorer registry" forum under the "91 solid axle swap thread" and check the new pics out. There are pics of the front leaf mounts that everyone wanted to see and some other pics as well.:)

21. NOTAJP

NOTAJP Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mountain Home AFB, ID
      Year and Model:
      No more Exploder
      I have read quite a bit about your explorer. I have been impressed with your idea of leaf springs. I wouldn't worry about what others think. Looks great. Can you give more detail on your front springs? I would like to know what brand and part #'s. Do you have any measurements on your spring mounts, drag link and steering parts? Thanks, I appreciate your time.

22. RFR2212

RFR2212 Typing Police Elite Explorer

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      Year and Model:
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      Any flex shots from the front end?

23. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      Sorry, it took me so long to get back to you. The front springs are jeep springs. They have 7 leaves to the pack. I am not sure which springs they are but i believe they are National. They ride excellent. Nice and smooth.
      The steering components are stock '89 jeep wrangler steering, with the exception of the actual steering bar which has been bent upward to meet the pitman arm. The drag link bar was custom also. It was bent to match the steering arm so they are in-line and it looks cleaner. Let me know which kind of measurements you wanted and ill measure it for you.

As far as the flex shots, im workin on that. I'll have to post some flex pics soon. Sorry guys.

OH YEAH... and one more thing i am installing a 3" body lift on monday to make more room for the 302 cobra motor that is going in it some time soon. And to make room for 38.5"X 14" Super swampers. Ill post pics as soon as it is done.

Thanks for your interest... Tim.

24. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Tim,
      Did you ever get the front geared and a driveshaft going to it? Are you still running stock axle shafts/u-joints?

I just have concerns about 38.5x14s on a stock D30. That axle was never intended for that much rubber. That axle with stock shafts was never meant for more than 33s.

Robb

25. Chief34

City, State:
      Houston, Tx
      Year and Model:
      I have always had the driveshaft for the front. The only thing was i needed to gear it. The answer is no, unfortunately, i have not geared to front yet so i cant use my four wheel drive yet. Sucks too. But im looking for a good deal on the ring and pinion and im trying to get it done as soon as possible.
      As far as the rubber, well we will see.the 37's that are on there now are doing fine. Anyway, when it breaks i'll swap in a dana 44.the hard part is already done.
      -Tim
      OH yeah and i posted a buch of new pics in the forum listed in my sig. Check them out.

26. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Other Make & Models Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
      Year and Model:
      91 4 do'
      Not to sound like an @ss, but if you don't have your gears in and have not used 4x4, then of course you will not break your D30 with 37s. You will start breaking stuff when it's in 4x4. My good wheelin buddy was breaking shafts with 32s on a locked D30 with the I6 in his cherokee.
      I'm only posting to try to help you save your money. A 44 will require all new gears, locker and wheels plus you have a different bolt pattern, so you need to do something different in the rear (new shafts or spacers) to make it work. The 30 is a good way to get the solid axle in there, but is no stronger than the stock axle, and has no hubs meaning you break it-you fix it there or risk binding the yoke, breaking ball joints and losing a tire on the trail. This is true if you snap the ring or pinion as well.
      It does Look good though, curious to see flex shots too.