1992 Explorer Problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer Problems.

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, OH, Home of The Race Shop :)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 X XLT
Hello, I have been a member here for a while, but I have been so busy on my Grand Am Project that I have not had time to do too much to my Ex.

Today I went to have another 2 31x10.5x15 mudders put on it, and an alignment. Well I got the tires, but no alignment.

I looked under the front and I saw an IPD swaybar on there BUT both end links are toast. By toast I mean missing. I'm STILL fixing up this Explorer from the kid who had it before me.

Work so far:

NEW 4.0L engine
New FWD lockout hubs
new fuel pump + sending unit
New exhaust.

Work to do:

Suspension work (Sway bar linkage, ball joints and tie rod ends)
Universal Joints
Full custom exhaust made in my shop (maybe some headers too)
Fix door latch problem
Put on the Aqua Breather kit I made
Fix the rust
Lift kit (but I don't know where to start on this)
Towing package

I know these trucks (1st Gen) are prone to transmission problems but when I changed out my engine, my torque converter noises stopped, I got more power over all, maybe I'll install an LS1 TB on the engine and see how that performs. It almost seemed like I have more vacuum in my engine. Well anything is better than what I HAD. My old 4.0L sheered 2 valves and tossed them through a piston. It died 250+ miles away from home. So for $1200 I got a new engine and it was installed.

I'm so used to NHRA builds and I have no idea what I am looking for in a 4x4. LOL. I guess my question is does anyone have a picture of the stock swap bar mounts vs an IPD setup so I know what I am looking at?

- Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are going to go with a lift and use it for serious 4x4ing, then leave the sway bars out front and rear and you will get large amounts of flex.

falls guy said:
If you are going to go with a lift and use it for serious 4x4ing, then leave the sway bars out front and rear and you will get large amounts of flex.

Well, I'm not doing any "serious" 4x4'ing, just enough to do so in a nice shallow creek bed here and there, and enough to sit up a little higher on the road. Besides, my tires are wearing horribly in the front because of it.

- Josh

How is this an emergency? :rolleyes:

Doug said:
How is this an emergency? :rolleyes:

Because my WIFE drives it 50+ miles everyday in Pittsburgh. The last thing that I want to do is her have something go wrong and it end up rolling. It's already been rolled once on a blow out at 60 MPH, I don't want anything to happen to her or my daughter if they are in it. THAT is why. It's very loose in the front end. Maybe I should have asked if anyone knows what parts are needed since this swaybar is not OEM.

Just as an FYI, have they started JRTC yet this year? Fort Polk is THE SUCK. LOL, there is nothing out there.

Yes there is nothing here in Louisiana. I haven't had sway bars for a few years now, you're wife isn't going to die. If you're looking for the end links they sell them at autozone in various lengths.

BASICALLY your sway-bar really has nothing to do with tire wear. you olds limits or dampens suspn. roll.and body lean.. most any good alignment shop should be bringing any worn components to your attention. they would be only hurting themselves not too.

Back