1993 center console removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 center console removal

skater488

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer eddie bauer
How do you remove a center console for this year does anyone have any pictures and steps on doing so if so that will be very helpful thanks. i wanna take it out because im designing and making my own i got bored with the one i have now and wanna add more too it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the Cup Holder Insert first. There are 4 screws, 1 in each 'corner'. They are Phillips Screws. Once you have the insert removed, there are 2 more screws that will appear. They are in plain sight. Remove them.

Slide the seats ALL the way forward, and crawl into the back seat. Pry the oval plastic cover off each side under the arm rest. If it has never been removed, it may be a bit hard. I can't recall if the 2 bolts under each cover are 7mm or 8mm, but a 1/4" ratchet, small extension, and the correct socket will make short work of it. Remove those 4 bolts, pull the arm rest away from the console, and there is a single phillips screw remaining in the center, right under the arm rest that you just removed.

Lift the whole console straight up.

You have just removed the console.

Ryan

Pretty much. It's easy. Depending on the cup holder you may not have screws. The up/down cup holder is clipped in. Once removed you can remove the 2 screws underneath it.

I have a 1994 Explorer, the transmission vaccuum modulator went bad, it was sucking tranny fluid out and dumping it in the crack case. I removed the front seats. Next I removed the hinged padded arm rest (four machine screws behind the oval cover), then the two body screws near the bottom. The console was lose but wouldnot lift out. No other mounting screws were visable. I ended up forcing it, thinking there was a clip on the bottom. What happened was I broke a mount neat the front. This would not seem to big a big issue, I thought some JB weld and it would be fine. Trouble is I can figure out how to dissassemble the console to remove the mount. There are to what looks like screw access area at the veryfront of the console but those screws are inserted from under the two level cup holders. I cannot figure out how to remove the molded cup holder section to access the screws. I have turned,pushed, pulled it 10 ways to Sunday and I just canfiguere out how to get the thing apart. Any help out there???? I'm sure when I'm informed, it will be a DAH! momment. Funny, I can work "blind" by feel through a small access hole on the tunnel to replace the modulator, but can not figure out how to get the consloe disassembled to remove the bracket to JB Weld it and fix it --- when it is in my hands in plain view!!!!!!!!!!

My 1994 Explorer has 270K miles on it and runs great plus looks like most 5-6 year old vehicles. Having a center console a bit loose (jerry rigged - mounted with few metal screws won't be a big deal but I'd like to fix it right (JB Weld the broken mount) and put it back in the correct mounting way.

Putting a console in my 93 that had a 60/40 bench seat, mine doesnt have the mounting tabs for the console, how can i secure it?

Back