1994 Explorer. How do I adjust the timing of the CPS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer. How do I adjust the timing of the CPS?

stecam78

Reaction score
City, State
dushore, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
Hey all, anyone know the timing setting for a 94 x with 4.0. I was told it was 10 btc and tdc. Which one is it. I believe that is what is wrong with it. I rebuilt the motor some time ago now, and it immediately ran like it was running on four cyl. Any help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must install the sensor while the engine in at TDC on the compression stroke. Turn the crank pulley to the "0" mark while watching the valves on the #1 cylinder. The valve closest to the front of the engine is the exhaust valve, the second is the intake. You want to watch the intake valve open/close and stop the next time you see the "0" mark on the pulley. This is TDC for the compression stroke.

After installing the sensor, you have to turn the crank pulley to 26 degrees after top dead center. Do this by turning the crank exactly 34mm past the "0" mark. This is the correct engine timing needed to do the final sync on the cam position censor. If you did the final sync while still at the "0" mark, the CPS is not synced correctly.

That post that 92exp4x4 posted was to my thread while I was replacing the sensor. There is more info there...

well, i will try it as soon as I get a chance. I am currently in the process of installing a 3.0 back in my mazda b3000 and I am having some serious doubts as to if i have it timed right. Fingers crossed and i thanks all for the input. I will let you know how it comes out

ok, question for you. What is the easiest way to measure the 34mm past tdc. Also i am taking it that once the crank pully is set 26 degrees past tdc, to do the final synch you have to turn the sensor until the alignment tool fits and then tighten things down?? Also, is this the same procedure for a 94 explorer 4.0?

what i meant was is this the same procedure for a 1998 mazda 3.0 in a b3000?

Back