1994 Ranger 3liter chronic ICM failures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ranger 3liter chronic ICM failures

jerbench

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger 3.0 V-6
Been fighting this problem for years. Replace ICM in 2014, bad again, had 4 (2 napa,2 carquest) fail in last 60 days, all proved defective, 2 would not start, 2 ran for a few weeks. Now put in a new Motorcraft, ran for 3 weeks and failed. Input from distributor pip present. Output from ICM to coil gone. Could there be someting in the circuit burning these out or are all these ICMs pieces of junk? Did replace a few parts over the years for good measure. Getting paraniod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were to complain to you about replacing my 4th circular saw and how they must be junk because every time I use them with my blue extension cord they go bad you would think me a fool... and rightly so.

Replacing several ECUs is an uncommon occurrence. I have only replaced one in all the cars I've owned. I would carefully go over the wire loom looking for worn areas because it sounds like you have wires shorting to ground or each other intermittently. This is not easy work, this is pull your hair out frustrating work but, if you want to solve this problem you must find the problem.

Hopefully some other Ranger owner might have run into this and knows of a bad spot in the wiring. Good Luck

Definitely look for broken, chaffed, or shorted wires in the wiring harnesses. Data logg every run until the next failure, then look at the logs for irregularities, be sure to wear a "straight jacket" the entire time.

If I were to complain to you about replacing my 4th circular saw and how they must be junk because every time I use them with my blue extension cord they go bad you would think me a fool... and rightly so.

Replacing several ECUs is an uncommon occurrence. I have only replaced one in all the cars I've owned. I would carefully go over the wire loom looking for worn areas because it sounds like you have wires shorting to ground or each other intermittently. This is not easy work, this is pull your hair out frustrating work but, if you want to solve this problem you must find the problem.

Hopefully some other Ranger owner might have run into this and knows of a bad spot in the wiring. Good Luck
Thanks for your reply. A shot of common sense always helps; in the defense of stubborness, I saw many sites/ articles that noted repeated failures due to consecutively bad new units, both after market and motorcraft. I am now searching for electrical shorts and someone smarter than me.

Definitely look for broken, chaffed, or shorted wires in the wiring harnesses. Data logg every run until the next failure, then look at the logs for irregularities, be sure to wear a "straight jacket" the entire time.
see my reply to centaurious, yes I agree with you.

Back