1995-2002 Explorer (and other vehicles) Recall | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995-2002 Explorer (and other vehicles) Recall

Is this similar to the fires that occurred in the 98 explorers? or different

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No worries, I don't have cruise control in my Explorer

I got the letter in the mail today and my letter states;

"This risk exists on vehicles equipped with or without speed control."

The first thing I did was a little internet research. After that, I unplugged the electrical connector to the switch immediately. No juice, no fire. That harness can arc over in various places due to the short, not just at the brake fluid reservoir. This has apparently been a known issue for Y-E A-R-S, Mister Ford. I assume I will have an idiot light and no cruise control. But, no juice, no fire. Now call Ford.

they sent me a letter about this and i got it taken care of but i still have a hard time getting out of park when im parked on a hill... is that just because im on a hill or should i look into it?

Its the same recall that ford just keeps screwing around with and have been "recalling" in some form for a number of years as they just can't figure out how to "limit" their exposure to the problem.... seems they didn't learn much from the tire fiasco. Hopefully, nobody gets hurt either physically or financially (fire) before they get this resolved.

I got my recall notice Friday. I have 225k and have used the cruise a bunch. You'd think it would have had a problem by now. I hope the dealer can fix it on a Sat as I'm not wasting a vacation day to have it fixed.

Unplug connector at the reservoir. Verified: No Idiot Light. No Cruise. No Fire . . . .

Got my recall in the mail today for my 97 Ranger...talk about slow.

Me too today! For the '96.

i still have a hard time getting out of park when im parked on a hill... is that just because im on a hill or should i look into it?

That happens when im on a steep hill also, but I got 2 letters in the mail for my old 95 when I had it, but never drove it anyways. I today just got a small piece of paper thats a reminder to have it done.

I frequently use my cruise control, so yea I think I should probably take it in in the next few days LOL

Ford recall hits 4.5 million vehicles (AGAIN!!!!)

Automaker issues largest single recall ever due to a faulty cruise control switch that could lead to a fire.

NEW
YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford issued the largest single recall in its history Tuesday as drivers of an additional 4.5 million vehicles were alerted about a fire hazard from a faulty switch.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said this was the eighth recall, involving a total of 16 million Ford Motor vehicles, concerning the cruise control deactivation switch manufactured by Texas Instruments .The faulty switch can leak hydraulic fluid, overheat, smoke and then burn, and risks causing a fire even when the ignition is turned off, parked and unattended, the NHTSA said.The risk is elevated for 1.1 million Windstars that were subject to a government investigation, said Ford spokesman Wes Sherwood. "We determined with the government that there is a low risk of fires for those vehicles," Sherwood said. "The other 3.4 million vehicles are the remaining vehicles that have the Texas Instrument switch, so we're recalling them to reassure customers and prevent future recalls." Sherwood added that Ford has always gone beyond recalling only the cars that present a risk. While the company does not discuss its current suppliers, Sherwood said that Ford vehicles did not use the Texas Instrument switch in post-2003 models.NHTSA said Ford drivers should look for warnings of possible imminent fires, including malfunctioning cruise control systems and brake lights and antilock braking system and brake light warnings on the dashboard. The safety agency also said difficulty in getting the vehicle out of the park mode should be treated as a warning."I urge customers to pay attention to this warning and bring the affected models in to have them repaired as soon as possible," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, in a statement. Ford is notifying customers and instructing them to take vehicles to dealers for a complimentary installation of a fused wiring harness that will eliminate the risk of fires, the NHTSA said.The safety recall is expected to begin around Oct. 26. Owners may contact Ford at 1-800-392-3673 or NTHSA's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or visit safercar.gov | NHTSA. Tuesday's recall includes the following Ford models: 1995-2003 Windstars, 2000-2003 Excursion diesels, 1993-1997 and 1999-2003 F-Super Duty diesels, 1992-2003 Econolines, 1995-2002 Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers, 1995-1997 and
2001-2003 Rangers and 1994 F35 motorhomes.
I know I'm replying to a very old thread! (don't know how else to bump it) Because it's so old - Ford can't tell me if my VIN# is one of those that got the repair. I'm about the 3rd owner and have no documentation. Anyone who did have the issue repaired, can one tell visually if they have the old defective part on their Explorer? Would like to use cruise control in the future...

Back