1995 - Dora the explorer SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 - Dora the explorer SAS

Hey guys... this is humbling to be able register here. I know that there are like 4 guys going to register very soon.
lizardtrac, morrisey0, FMExplorer, muskrat, jeffseal... i know there are others, but these are the guys who have helped me out in so many ways. not to mention coryl - the guy is an inspiration.

Started with 1995 XLT with 170,000 on the ticker and a tax refund check! (thanks uncle Sam)

I had torn up 2 sets of wheel bearings in the past year, needed to replace control arms, ball joints, my fourth cv axle... in all it was going to be nearly $1k in parts to replace parts that were just worn out... so the old noggin started working. wife got her a new/used car for her and gave me the go ahead to tackle this project.

Ill detail everything in the days to come and am willing to answer and questions, but ill tell like everyone else - do a search first and/or start with this thread
right now i have a High Pinion dana 30 axle out of a 1992 YJ (jeep wrangler) this was a steal of a deal and i snagged it from a fellow i work with. I was attracted to it since it is reverse cut gears, parts are easy to find and gnerally inexpensive, the axle was in excellent condition, the bolt pattern would remain the same, and i got it, with springs, and steering linkage for $250.

the springs were from a 70s wagoneer.

to achieve lift I relocated springs over the axle.

i gotta cut this short since im at work but ill update as soon as i can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks guys!

yom - you buy the beer and give one $1k ill swap you in one. of course you gotta leave the truck for at least a month. give me a heads up in april and we will get together and wheel. of course you probably won tliek this black gooish swamp mud that we have up here in north florida :D

i think backspacing i 3.75" but fmexplorer might know better since hes the bloke i got em from. they look wide as hell but also the sxle is an inch or so wider than stock wheelbase width.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You know, i always wanted to wheel with you cause my truck was bigger that yours, lol :D

but now i'm kinda worried :p

i guess 33's aren't big anymore, lol

ha ha! dont worry there are still plenty that are bigger than me. im jus trying to cathc up with local boys that are all between 38 and 44" boggers and swampers.

are you sure that your yankee ex will even work right down here in the deep southern swamps?:D

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN

are you sure that your yankee ex will even work right down here in the deep southern swamps?:D

:eek:

Wow, look out, thats a huge log your crawling on.....Try for a ramp next time. Looks good though

your a funny guy! ill be sure to get a ramp next time. that log is for my wife... its a rail road trussel, its theres so she wont run into the house:D

Hey Gabe, you running lockers or anything in either axle?

What were your final results for driveshafts? Did your front happen to be a cv style or a yoke style drive shaft on the tcase end?

front is going to end up being cv style (double cardan u joint) on the tcase end (was this way stock) - still havent gotten it lengthened. though.

right now open front - ford LSD rear. more than likely will go with trutrac or no slip in the front and go back to the spool in the rear. the main reason i took the spool out was because of wife but now she doesnt ride in it at all:D

yomie is a pimp!

3indiantrail_south-med.jpg

i know theres no flex in this shot (still afraid to drop rear driveshaft but before i couldnt drive up this hump in 2wd - now no issue cuz of the 35s.

3indiantrail_creek-med.jpg

previously i would be about an in from hitting the bumper on the dirt. this is pretty extreme angle. my 3 year old wa sin the car seat and only being held in by the seat belt.

You and Robb both must have had some left over tcases from the 94 models cause his also had a ujoint style on the tcase. Mine has that stupid cv style. I've got to find an adapter for that. Doesn't someone make one of those?

Yeah Josh i have the CV Boot style up front too.

Damnit guy's help me find a cheap Leaf sprung D30!

Dead Link Removed

here ya go homies.... looks like it could be a kick ass deal.

Thanks

Damn looks good, but i don't have an e-bay acct. firewalled thru work ( i don't have comp at home)

Your right it is a killer deal, but i was also kinda wanting leafs too. If someone can get his e-mail addy for me that would be great!

Description

This is a Front Dana 30 with 456 gears rebuilt about 2500 miles ago. It is an open differential with all new bearings and hubs. Axle u-joints were also replaced at the time of Rebuild.
Also included is a heavy duty chrome Diff cover.

I will also include a set of Super Heavy duty lower control arms that are lengthened to put the diff back into proper alignment with over 5 inches of lift for an additional $20.00. These have poly bushings in them and can be seen in the pictures.

Also included at buyers request is the steering linkage.(I will remove if not wanted buy buyer).

I am doing some heavy modifications to my Jeep and putting a Dana 44 in the front with posi and a Dana 60 in the rear with a locker and converting it to leaf spring all around.

This axle will fit Jeep Cherokees from 1984-1996. This came out of a 1996 Cherokee but may fit other vehicles such as Jeep Wrangler, CJ, TJ, ZJ, Ford Ranger or Bronco II.

These gears worked perfect with 35" Mud Tires.

Check my other auctions for more Jeep parts...Rear Leaf Springs, Front Coil Springs and a Dana 35 with 4:56 gears.

Good luck and Happy Bidding!

That is the description he listed and he doesnt have his email listed. If you tell me what your email is Iwill send him one andhave him reply to you. Just want to see another SAS which will make me want to do one more
Gary

hey buckvilleman, you running 15x8 or 10?

I would advise against running anything other than a selectable locker upfront, it could make your vehicle behaive unpredictably on the trail. I plan on going with an ARB up front, and an Eaton Elocker, I saw them for the 8.8 in one of the mags, its a bit pricey, but I want a LSD in the back, with an option of locking, and would rather have open up front, and locked with the flick of a switch. I already have a compressor (HumVee Thomas unit:D), waiting to be installed, so that saves me some cash. Right now, I'm going to gear the front to 3.73's fo rhte time being, run it open, and when I can afford new front and rear moser shafts, eaton and ARB, and gears, I'm going to go to 4.10s, thought about going lower, but not practical for a street driven truck, if it was going to see a lot of trailering, maybe I'll go lower some day, but I think I'll hold off to get an A2 and possible an underdrive box. Or I though about doubling up the cases, either 2 1354s, or maybe throw a D20 in there some where, I still have many options.

Hey buchvilleman, you said you got a steal on those tires, what kind of deal did you get?

Ryan

the wheels are 15 x 10.
i got them from a fellow member of www.flexplorers.com who is also a member here (FMexplorer, AKA jon mcleod) you could say i got an inside deal. ive got to cook for him on allthe flexplorers camping trips from now on.

i agree with muskrat on front end... i want a selectable locker for the front but im thinking that im gogin to go with LSD for steering purposes. as far as the rear - i ran a mini-spool for most of last year and loved it. wife hated it so i took it out. a full time locker or reinstalling the spool in the rear is in my near future.

i too am running 3.73 for the time being. i cant decide to gear it or get a winch first. either way it will be this summer before i do either.

Back