1995 XLT- Wont start, replaced fuel relay already | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 XLT- Wont start, replaced fuel relay already

cowand

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Haven, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mountaineer
My 1995 Explorer would not start last night. When i turned the ignition, I did not hear the normal sound of the fuel pump starting. I just replaced the fuel relay, but that did not help. So, is it safe to assume that the fuel pump has stopped working? If so, how much $ am I looking at to have a new one installed.

Thanks,
Cowand -- 03-29-05 -- 12:48 pm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check and make sure the fuel cutoff switch didn't get activated by accident. Did you try wiggling the relay around while the key was in the on position. Make sure the contacts in the relay box are clean. You can also check for voltage on the wires going to the pump. If getting juice at the pump, then replace. Can cost $3-500. Easier with less fuel in the tank.

Thanks TPLYNCH.

how do i find the fuel cut off switch? and which set of relays are you looking at?

My explorer (1995 xlt) is not starting either...

thank you for any help you can give.

The inertia switch is located near the right kick panel in the front passenger compartment. 2 things you need to check... make sure the button isn't pushed up. If it is, push it down to reset it. Also, make sure the the plug is firmly attached to the bottom of the switch. You may have to pull the carpet back a bit to get to it.

You should also check the PCM relay that is next to the fuel pump relay.

Mike

Try letting the fuel pump prime twice. See if that helps.. Got a couple of questions, when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced. Are you getting pressure at the rail? Have you checked the pressure at the shrader (sp) valve on the fuel rail? How about checking to see if you get spark from the plug wires & from the coil?

I put gas in the carburator and the truck will run until the gas is gone then the truck dies, I am unable to find the inertia switch on the right side kickpanel

If you don't hear the pump prime for a second or 2 when you turn the key to on, then it's not the fuel filter. The inertia switch is on the passenger front side near the transmission hump. Make sure the top button isn't deployed and make sure that the plug on the bottom is on tight. You will have to peel the carpet back to get to it.

Also, I believe there is another relay next to the FP relay that also controls juice to the fuel pump. There also may be a fuel pump fuse. Check Chiltons or Haynes, or autozone.com . The LAST thing you want to do is replace the fuel pump.

"the last thing you want to do is replace the fuel pump".....

and he's right, but ya know more often than not it's the problem on 1st gen's these days. Check for fuel pressure at the rail. The gauge costs $30, a new pump, about $100. For that much $$$ make sure you are replacing what is wrong.

The interial switch rarely fails. The relay often ($10), more often the pump just gave up the ghost. Replace your fuel filter as a matter of course....not a bad idea... and even it THAT doesn't fix it, you now have a new one. Was about time anyway.

So in order... replace the filter (careful as the system is pressurized.... your new gauge [BUY ONE] will help you bleed it safely into something insteaed of all over...dangerous) Next step [in case you haven't already] buy a pressure gauge [get the drift here?] and screw it onto the fuel rail and turn the ignition on...you should get pressure, if not, it means the pump is not working for SOME reason. (Relay or pump or?)

Next check the wiring going back to the pump for 12V. This is easiest done at the interial switch on the firewall behind the hump in the passenger compartment.... if you get 12v with the ignition on.... at either terminal.. it's the pump.

About a 3 hour job. Drop tank, replace pump, reinstall. Not fun.

tried it

i have a similar problem with my 94 xlt. the truck had intermittent starting problems inwhich the fuel pump was not priming, i thought it was the pump, so i replaced it. problem solved for a while, then it came back. My brother was the one who noticed a click sound wheni tried to turn the truck over, i listen closely and it was coming from the fuel relay. i replaced the relay and the problem was solved. but now it is doing it again. the truck wont start at all and the pump isnt priming.

Any ideas?

Make sure the wire connection at the bottom of the inertia swich is tight.

Mine did something similar last year. It turned out to be a rusted off ground under the frame by the gas tank someplace. I never saw it, the mechanic just told me about it. Look around under there and see if wires look like they are hanging down. I guess it was the ground for the fuel pump.

If this is an EEC-IV vehicle, energize the relay and pump at the diagnostic connector under the hood.

mine is doing the same thing, i keep replacing relays like there is a short or something...last time I hit the inertia switch and it started..I"m thinking of bypassing this switch or replacing it.

Check and make sure the connection on the bottom of the inertia switch is on tight.

95"s (inertia/fuel reset) are at the top of the carpet on pass side...hard to see the button just feel around it the button is on top, had to pry mine up with a key then push it down.

if you get 12v with the ignition on.... at either terminal.. it's the pump.

Hi there,
Hey what do you mean here:
if you get 12v with the ignition on.... at either terminal.. it's the pump.
Does the 12v light thing light up???
Thanks,
Naomi

I have the same problem with no voltage going to the fuel pump there is no voltage at the safety switch either side. Futher checking showes the fuel pump relay is not on. Next problem the PCM module turns on the fuel pump relay if several engine items are in working condition one is the crank shaft position Sensor which did not work for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem with no voltage going to the fuel pump there is no voltage at the safety switch either side. Futher checking showes the fuel pump relay is not on. Next problem the PCM module turns on the fuel pump relay if several engine items are in working condition one is the crank shaft position Sensor which did not work for me.

Back