1996 Explorer Trailer Wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Trailer Wiring

Im sure this has been covered but Im at my wits end. Looked all over for a solution but cant seem to get it figured out. I bought my 16 year old an Explorer, nice rig 87k miles does not have the tow package and does have the ugly blue interior but otherwise nice. Put a tow reciever on it for some light towing but I can't figure out the wiring. I tried splicing in to the tail light on the drivers side... no love. Bought the Hopkins T connector # 4032, still no love. Read on one of the forums that I needed to add the 2 relays in the box next to the battery and add the 30 amp fuse in the fuse box... did that nothing. Then today I got the wiring kit from LiteMate Pitco #6868P that hooks right in to both the rear tail lights and runs directly to the battery... still nothing. What am I missing???? Any help would be appreciated.

I may be wrong here but I know mine came with a connector hidden behind the tail light area that is for the trailer wiring. If its there it will have a red pointy rubber plug covering it.

www.etrailer.com is your friend.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...plorer/1996/C55345.html?vehicleid=19961171953

1996 Ford Explorer w/o factory towing package turns up 2 light wiring kits (the Curt link is above, the other one is T-One). Both kits look about the same, most importantly that you need to run a hot line (included) up to the battery. Some older vehicles did not have enough juice at the tail lights to simply tap into. These kits get the signal from the tail/brake lights, but get power from the battery to actually light up the trailer lights.

Etrailer is my first place to shop for trailer stuff. Great website, often with nice install videos, and great customer service.

Back