• Register Today It's free!

1996 lincoln town car seat memory

James Duca

Reaction score
City, State
Hernando, (Citrus county) Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Lincoln Town car
I have a few issues going on with my 1996 Lincoln Town car. I have a drain on the battery. I am looking into that and keeping the battery charged up. The obvious problem now is that when I restore power, the front seat goes to the furthest front position. No matter how many times I try to to make it go back, I have to pull the fuse that runs it, to keep it in a good position. That fuse also runs my trunk latch, so that's not a good temporary solution.

I've not done any trouble shooting yet. My first step was to search on here and found " NICE59FORDF100's " "Everything you wanted to know about memory seats". My search was for the 96 Lincoln Town car, so I assume that it was for the Ford Explorer, as well as the Lincoln town car. That appears to be all the information I will need. Of course he says " As you can see from the above diagram, the memory seating electrical is really not all that bad" but there is a lot of information there to digest.

I'm going to start in my door panel and look at the switches. See if I can disconnect the forward movement wire and see if that stops it. Or if that is impractical, just see if a signal is coming from the switch, or is it the memory that is sending the faulty signal to go forward.

Maybe reading Nice 59's post a few times will lead me to other methods to figure this out. I may just disconnect the seat electric movement just so that I can put the fuse back in and have the trunk latch work.

Welcome to this forum! Check to see if there's a fuse with constant power (not ignition switched) in the memory circuit. It sounds like the seat resets every time you turn on the electrical system. Maybe the memory keep alive fuse is burned out or there could be a bad connection in the circuit.

Back