1996 Speaker Amp Impedance (NON JBL/MACH/RICH GUY VERSION) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Speaker Amp Impedance (NON JBL/MACH/RICH GUY VERSION)

Sonic_Mikey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4L 4x4
So I was in my driver side door today, fixing my inoperable lock button (which turned out to be BOTH arching build up AND broken wires -_-) when I figured I should pull my speaker out and check what resistance they are so I can buy the proper A/M set and not melt the OE amp.

To my surprise it measured out @ 5.6 ohms.

Now, im going to assume this once was a 4 ohm speaker?But do to years of use, it resistance has gone up. Iv been digging around and everyone seems to have replaced their units with 4 ohms ones, but I dont know if they have bypassed the OE amp or not.

Im also going to run the OE amp, being that the HU I installed is rated @ 52x4 MAX, which puts nominal power in the 30-35 watt range, maybe even less?

If you are running the OEM amp, the power output is what that is putting out...

If you are running the OEM amp, the power output is what that is putting out...

Yes, I know. I suppose I should have omitted that last section about the amp. I was trying to avoid the use/don't use amp argument all together by stating that there is no real gain by me bypassing it in my situation, just more wires to cut and solder.

My only question is what ohm speakers the stock amp is rated to handle. I know that running 2 ohm speakers on an amp that is only stable down to 4 ohms will eventually kill it.

Back