1996 with 7 inches of lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 with 7 inches of lift

This first picture was in 2007. I had cranked the torsion bars, and installed a cheap shackle kit from autozone, and put in a weak four door leaf pack from the junkyard. 31 10.50 BFG all terrains

The second Picture is 2008. I believe I put in a better four door leaf pack from the junkyard, and installed a 2 inch body lift. 33 12.50 BFG all terrains on 15x8 wheels.

The third picture is after my superlift install. I was tired of the torsion crank because of the ride quality and weird angles on my front suspension. I also didn't like the aftermarket shackles sticking out like a sore thumb so i replaced with stock shackles. In between 2008 and today I removed the 2 inch body lift and installed the 3 inch body lift do to rubbing. I am pleased with the outcome of the explorer.. 33 12.50 Mud terrains on 15x10 wheel

Attachments

• old explorer.jpg
    old explorer.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 30,017
  • 2nd explorer.jpg
    2nd explorer.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 5,369
  • 7 inches.jpg
    7 inches.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 31,267

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man I Like it Alot!! Reminds me of mine only at the height I would like it be at. It looks like you could clear 35's?

Hmmm so thats what mine would look like if i wasn't broke

Nice sport man !! , How you like those tires ?

Thanks guys,

I probably could clear some 35's but I have my speedo gear just right with the 4.10 gears to have a accurate speedometer with stock shift points in the transmission.

Bruce: The tires look good and I like them, but they are pretty loud driving over 30mph, plus they wear kind of fast.

Looks to damn top heavy! Looks good though!

Noticed in 3rd pic you have the wider molding that would have come from the factory in grey. Was it easy to swap and I assume you sprayed it with Krylon Fusion or some other plastic paint? I have been wanting to do that for a few years. Finding sport grey molding isnt as easy as I thought it would be...

Noticed in 3rd pic you have the wider molding that would have come from the factory in grey. Was it easy to swap and I assume you sprayed it with Krylon Fusion or some other plastic paint? I have been wanting to do that for a few years. Finding sport grey molding isnt as easy as I thought it would be...

It was pretty easy to swap, just try to save as many of the clips as possible, and you are right... I shot them with a couple coats of krylon fusion. That is to bad you can't find any which is odd. The local junkyard over here I think had a couple decent sets.

I have a stock version of that beautiful 96 explorer above same color and everything I'm not made of money but I'm hoping to be able to drop some cash in it soon any ideas of what I should do to it Im not looking for anything to crazy maby 2 or 3" of lift I just don't know where to start can you help me out?

nice x

I have a stock version of that beautiful 96 explorer above same color and everything I'm not made of money but I'm hoping to be able to drop some cash in it soon any ideas of what I should do to it Im not looking for anything to crazy maby 2 or 3" of lift I just don't know where to start can you help me out?

Thanks! You could do a torsion twist plus beef up the rear with 4 door leaf packs then do a two inch body lift. That would give you a good three inches of lift.

Thanks! You could do a torsion twist plus beef up the rear with 4 door leaf packs then do a two inch body lift. That would give you a good three inches of lift.

What do you think all of that would run me I'm not exactly rolling in the dough here haha

Like do you think you could lay out a parts list of everything I would need to get this done the right way

Hey I was wondering where exactly did you grt your body lift I can't seem to find one for my 97 sport?

Hey I was wondering where exactly did you grt your body lift I can't seem to find one for my 97 sport?

If memory serves me right I bought the performance accessories 853 body lift for a ranger. Pretty straight forward install but the radiator mounts need work, and body mounts need to be drilled out to 1/2 inch. Need to fab up bumper mounts also.

Search body lift for 2nd Gen install and you should come across tons of info and part numbers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the last picture are you still using the same leaf springs as the second pic?

Back