1997 3.0 L Ranger XL - Advice Appreciated! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 3.0 L Ranger XL - Advice Appreciated!

B

briantf

I'm getting close to the 30K checkup, and I'd like to get other people's opinons on what to have checked.

Basics:
Regular 5K oil change w/Castrol Syntec
K&N Filter
Xtra Cab (can hose out interior)
5-spd Manual
215 Firestone's (CRUMMY!!!) replaced with 30x9.5 BFG AT's.

Concerns:
Tappet/lifter noise at idle
Engine idles high (7-800 rpm), sometimes sticks at 2K rpm after engaging clutch for 15 seconds
Generally noisy engine - more so than other Rangers, more so than my wife's 98 Explorer SOHC.

I got the truck with 430 mi. on it, had to do a search and get it driven down.The u-joints have been noisy since new, and there's a lot of wind-up on acceleration or throttle adjustments. Should I pop for new u-joints? I haven't changed a u-joint myself since my '67 Barracuda went up on blocks!

Note: I have an acquantaince on his 2nd Explorer, a '96 5-spd. His first Explorer was a special-order 5-spd manual, and the tranny died. Based on info here, it sounds like the rubber plug problem, but I didn't know that at the time I got my truck. I got the 3.0 L on the assumption it would stress the tranny less than the 4.0 L.

Observations for prospective buyers:
I bought this truck from a dealer/salesman I've known for years - a good man, and he went out of his way to find me almost exactly what he wanted at an excellent price. I conciously sought alternatives, including (choke, gasp) Toyota's, and I was satisfied with my decision to get this truck.

Overall, it's MUCH better than I expected. The only real disappointment is that it's difficult to drive smoothly (u-joints) and that changing the oil is needlessly awkward.

Offroad, it's excellent. I knew that Ford puts street tires on, so I skipped the tire option and went to Costco immediately. Other than that, it's been a perfect offroad truck. Hunting, camping, whatever, and the compact size has allowed me into areas that full-size trucks can't get to.

If you want an inexpensive but VERY utility oriented vehicle, the Ranger is fabulous.

------------------
Brian in CA

Back