and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1997 Explorer Sport Control Trac 4X4 NO REVERSE

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by cjc1989, January 18, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cjc1989

cjc1989 New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      1997 Ford Explorer sport
      I've recently lost reverse, and a trusted mechanic friend of mine suggested it could be a solenoid. I changed the filter & fluid; also, there were no signs of anything loose or coming apart. I was just wondering if purchasing a new valve body, with all new solenoids could help my problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      Year and Model:
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      It might be a problem with the reverse servo, or the low/reverse band. Do you have engine braking in manual 1st gear? Also, how many miles do you have on your transmission? Do some searching here, and in the transmission sub-forum, for 5R55E no reverse. Lots of reading to do.

I would imagine a valve body rebuild would not be a bad thing for a transmission of that age (the valve bores are prone to wear, as is the EPC solenoid) , but to say that would cure the problem, I doubt it. That is a fairly complicated transmission, with MANY possible causes, so I would not just put parts on without a more thorough diagnosis. Do some more research.

4. cjc1989

cjc1989 New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      1997 Ford Explorer sport
      The transmission has around 230xxx miles on it. I have engine breaking in manual first, and also the o/d light flashes sometimes causing a rough shift into second and third.

5. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      Year and Model:
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      Get the transmission codes read. Do you have Torque Converter Clutch lock-up at highway speeds?

6. cjc1989

cjc1989 New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      1997 Ford Explorer sport
      It does fine at highway speeds. When the overdrive lights not blinking its shifts like a brand new trans but when it does blink it shifts hard into second and third.