1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

For Sale 1997 Explorer XLT 4x4 -- 5-Speed Manual

Discussion in 'Used Ford Explorer - Ranger and all other Vehicles' started by Reach, March 29, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Reach

Reach New Member

Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer
      Located in Raleigh, NC. Price: $1900

For sale is my 1997 Ford Explorer. It has the rare 5-speed manual transmission. This is the full 4-Door XLT Explorer, not the 2-door Sport. Combine the M5OD trans with a the selectable 4WD and it is ready for any terrain. It is BLACK on the exterior and has a tan leather interior. The leather isn't perfect anymore 15 years later, but it has held up very well with no rips or tears, and only minor stretching on the driver's seat. It does look worn, but it's together.

It is completely stock. No modifications, only maintenance, has kept this truck rumbling and healthy for 203,000 miles. It even has 4 brand new Yokohama all-terrain tires. Balanced, aligned, no CELs, emissions compliant and passes inspection. What more could you ask for?

This truck is a great daily driver, but with two newer cars in the stable I just don't need it anymore. With it's 5-speed and selectable 4x4, this would even make a great truck to turn into a real off-road and/or mud truck. Daily driver / workhorse / plaything... you choose.

THE GOOD:

- Mechanically excellent. I mean it. I have a workshop full of tools and enough free weekends to keep my cars in top shape. I don't keep receipts, but you name it and it's been done here. Major work put in at 190k to engine, clutch, transfer case, heater, alternator, cooling system, and more. I'll toss in my Haynes manual for the car as well.
      - CLEAN TITLE in hand. Fully ready to be registered in NC or anywhere else.
      - No rust problems. Zero panel rust. Only minor surface rust on the underside, as you would expect to find on a 15 year old car with 200k miles.
      - No leaks. No coolant leaks. No oil leaks. No water leaking into the cabin.

THE BAD:

- Headliner is sagging in the rear and about ready to be redone. It waves in the wind a bit when you drive it with the windows down.
      - A/C currently does not work. Heater and all HVAC controls do, so I believe it is the blend door issue. It's a cheap fix that requires some labor to do. OK, this is 1 thing I did not get around to fixing.
      - Exterior paint is not wonderful. No rust (see above) but it has always looked like the previous owner like to drive it through those car washes that slowly scratch your paint. All paint is original, no retouches, so you'll see it's honest. Front is worse than rear. My assessment: 6 out of 10.

That's it! Email me for any more information and include your phone # to let me know you're serious and you've read this far. Please email, no PM, to mriechers at gmail dot com

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2012
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tjsxplodr

tjsxplodr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Idaho
      Year and Model:
      1991 Ford Explorer XLT
      If only I had the cash and didn't live so damn far away, I'd be all over this!! A '97 stock 5 speed YEAH!!

BUMP for a great looking rig!

4. briwayjones

briwayjones Manual Master Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Eldersburg, MD
      Year and Model:
      2000 Ford Explorer XLS
      If I wasn't jobless and no money I think I would jump on this too. I'm a sucker for Explorers with manual transmissions.

5. Reach

Reach New Member

Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer
      Bumping this up. I've lowered the price to $1900 and I'm looking for a quick sale.

6. Reach

Reach New Member

Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer
      The truck has been sold.