1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1997 Ford Explorer XLT AWD Missing Front Drive Shaft

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by davidtbaron, November 28, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. davidtbaron

davidtbaron New Member

City, State:
      Henderson, NV
      Year and Model:
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT
      Ok here is the thing i bought this truck about a year ago and just yesterday noticed the front drive shaft was missing. I have no idea how i missed that when i bought the truck i guess because it ran and drove perfect and had no leaks i just assumed everything was good and it was a great price lol. I have driven this truck for one year without a front driveshaft. Has always driven great on the highway and had no problems. Is it possible by doing this that in the future i could have some transmission trouble? At this point i Don't know if i should find a shaft and install it. i have no need for 4wd.

What would you do?

Any comments appreciated :)
      Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. FordGT55

FordGT55 Active Member

City, State:
      Worthington , Ohio
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT V8 AWD
      You wont have transmission issues. More than likely though your transfer case is shot and wont work once you decide to get a front drive shaft (assuming you have the V8). If you have a V6 it's not true AWD so just get a new drive shaft.

4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

Year and Model:
      07 Camry
      The truck can roll away in park if there is no front driveshaft, btw... I would put one in. But yeah- most likely the transfercase would have been hurt which is probably the reason they took it out in the first place. They are not all the same from 1995-2001/by engine/trans, so make sure you get the correct one if you're going to replace it.

5. davidtbaron

davidtbaron New Member

City, State:
      Henderson, NV
      Year and Model:
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thanks Guys for the quick reply. i will prob try to find a drive shaft but as long as trans won't be damaged i will wait until i have more money. Especially since the transfer case may be damaged. For now i will stick with my 2WD lol As far as rolling away in park. When i am parked on a steep incline the truck does roll back but over a long period of time. when i first got the truck i parked in my driveway which is pretty steep and came back out 2 hours later moved about 3 feet back. Emergency brake needs new shoes. I also went to auto parts store and bought these plastic wheel stops for like 5 bucks lol they haven't failed me yet even on steep hills. I have been using them for a year now. Other than that truck runs and drives great only 140,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the feedback guys i appreciate it :)